Pump problems, maybe?

fofa

Sep 27, 2008
Houston, TX
I have a 2HP hayward Northstar.
Have not a single issue with it, until Hurricane Ike and lack of power.
Not sure if that is the reason, but since power was restored (16 days no running) about every other day the water level in the pump basket falls low enough to be below the impeller station.
I can not see any leaks, but I do know that if I open a valve or air release all the water will drain out of the filter and lines, but still be above the impeller. So this whole below the impeller thing is throwing me off.
If I fill the basket so water is in the impeller, it creates prime and starts working fine.
So something is leaking the water out to below the impeller inlet. But I am clueless at this point.
Any ideas?

Most likely you are either not getting enough water to the pump (clogged line, stuck skimmer weir) or there is an air leak between the skimmers/main drain and the pump impeller. The pump basket lid is a common leak point, but since it started with the hurricane, I'd be thinking that you might have a clog.

Is it draining when running or just when it's sitting off between runs? The only way for it to get below the hole into the impeller housing with it off is either through a leaking drain plug or a crack in the strainer pot. Re-seal both plugs and check for drips when the pump is off.

If this is happening when it's running I'd go with the clog.

It only happens while sitting between runs, and like I said, not every time.

When it does self prime and run, it does not suck air, or loose prime. Seems fine once I can get it to start.

Plugs huh, never even knew those existed, guess I'll have to look again.

Thanks

OK, I found out two things. By strainer basket lid seems to be leaking and allowing air in when the pump is shut off and there is no suction, but that should not take the water level down past the impeller housing.
I checked the drain plugs, and tightened them a tad, but they did not seem to be leaking, and do not now seem to be leaking.
Yet every so often the water level is down past the impeller housing.
I was watching it run last night trying to see if there is a leak some where, and did not notice any drips. But I had cleaned off the cement base the equipment sits on, and did notice it getting quite wet, but no drips. It is really hard to see, but I think there is water leaking out of the bottom of the impeller area (not a drip as it is in contact with the cement base).
It would be the area where the motor and impeller meet, between the two "legs" or "rails" of the pump.
If that is the case, what does that tell me?

Thanks again.

parts_pumps_hayward_northstar.htm_txt_parts_1.gif

It is either the housing O-ring (#10) or the pump seal. The seal would only leak halfway down the impeller, so it is probably the housing o-ring. You can try lubricating it (silicone lubricant for use with pool fittings, a la magic lube) and flipping it around. If you notice your hands getting very black when you do this or if the o-ring is cracked or deformed go ahead and replace it.

Don't know why I didn't think about the housing o-ring before... :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.