Reassurance

Apr 13, 2015
Atoka/TN
sorry for the long post.

Just want to hear someone say, headed in the right direction and, hopefully - almost there. Husband thinks I am using a LOT of chlorine...

A little history, replaced the line from the skimmer to the pump after trying to open pool with severe air leak. (wasting several galons of bleach)

Pump now working much better, other line needs replacing, but it is just leaking at a slow rate at this time. (fixed the air in system issue)

I have a Taylor test kit. New to the forum, but not to fiberglas pool maintenance/liquid chlorine. I have not used liquid chlorine in 20+ years. The method used at that time was, pour it in till clear.

I do not have before pics. I do not cover pool at end of season. (bad I know) So, in the spring I usually have a swamp. If my timing is right, it's not too bad. This year was pretty bad since I am just now trying to clear it.

I working toward 20 FC SLAM. At each chemical test time I am also at least "stirring up" the water. Depending on time, I am brushing walls/vac some.

OK I started SLAM on 6/3 8AM

readings at that time:

FC 1.5
TA 170
CH 50
PH 7.2
CYA 55 added 4 gal 2 qts 10% liquid chlorine (local pool store)

6/3 12:00

FC 22.5
CC 0 added 0

6/3 4:00 PM

FC 16
CC 0 added 1 gal 1 qt

6/3 5:30 PM

FC 22.5
CC 0 added 1 gal 1 qt to hold over night

6/4 8 AM

FC 22
CC >.5 added 0

6/4 4:00 PM

FC 8
CC 0 Added 5 gal ( headed to work )

6/5 8:00 AM

FC 25.5
CC 0

6/5 2PM

FC 14
CC 0 Added 1 Gal 3 qts

Retesting and going back to pool store for more chlorine.

1 other side note. 8 hours during the day on 6/4 and 4 hours on 6/5 I used only main drain. Actualy vac hose connected to vac head/pole and positioned on the bottom of the deep end. Closest thing I figured out to possibly circulate more water.

I am attaching a now pic, still cant see the bottom in deep end. However, when I get home from work in the am (longest time pool is just filtering) I can see almost to the bottom of the deep end. Shallow end looks pretty good. Then I vac/brush...repeat.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I feel that I am on the right track, and from my reading -- working on my last 10% .. the hard part on patience.

are we there yet??

- - - Updated - - -

pool 6 5.jpg

I see 13 gallons, which isn't all that much. Scroll through and look at some of the pictures in the threads in this list of links.

You have a sand filter. Is there a "waste" setting? If you run the vacuum on waste, everything you suck up will get shot out to waste and not into the filter. Gone for good. It might be worth considering when you get home and see the stuff all settled out. You'll lose some water, too, but that would help lower the CYA level.

Edit. Now I see the picture. Check for algae beneath the ladder rungs. Very common spot for it to linger. Also inside the ladder tubes. And behind lights.

You are heading there. Right now you are still on the up hill part-------getting it clear. Once it is almost clear your will be heading down hill but the hardest part-------getting it all the way clear!

Keep it up. Test and top off FC as often as you can now that it is the weekend.

Kim

Looks like you are doing a great job following the SLAM process. :goodjob:

I think you are close to being done and maybe just working on the filtration process right now.

Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter? I would do that to make sure it is working well and then you could consider Adding DE to your Sand Filter to help. Sand filters are the slowest to clear out the cloudiness.

Put in new sabd 2-3 years ago, and did clean it done this year. (Both priir to finding TFP) . Have not added DE yet, but have not rulled it out either.

Richard , I do vacuum to waste. (Mot as much since finding out about CYA) I have a small leak and add about an inch of water 2-3 times aweek. Did not want to disturb CYA too much while slamming.

Also, Richard
I have looked through the pics. Think my pool was used for some of those. Lol. I will try to find horror pics from 7 years ago when I moved in. Have read through a lot of the "links to keep up with" or something links that. Lots and lots of great info. Thanks

Making progress...
ff48d7b2cfa3db54bdbbbccbb77cd792.jpg
7ca8c82fc6076d014adf03dddea04814.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh yeah, it's at the agonizing stage now.

The first 90% takes 10% of the time. It's that last 10% that takes 90% of the time that drives you nuts.

Since the vacuum's all hooked up, tilt it on it's side so it's wide open down there in the deep. Maybe it'll suck up more of the cloudy stuff and whisk it off to be filtered that way.

Jblizzle, you are right. I planned on ordering both. I knew the CYA was going to be an issue, needing to use so much. I just did not realize I was going to use the other that quick. But, luckily pool is clear. Just cautiously keeping levels up till I can test overnight. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.