Help Please!

Jun 5, 2015
Warren
Hello! First time here. I need a little help with my situation please. I was told by my local pool store that I have nitrates and that I may have to drain my pool. My pool was dark green when I opened it this spring. It is now light green, and I cant seem to get the "green" out. I was also told I have Chlorine lock. From what I understand, I should use liquid shock or Bleach until I start seeing FC. Right now I have 0.4 FC. I shocked a couple times and im showing about 5.0 chlorine. I guess im not sure how much bleach i would use to do the trick., ive never used bleach. Here is my analysis from the pool store. Or do I just shock the heck out of it with normal shock? Thanks for replys!

CYA - 38
Tot Chlor.- 5.0
FC 0.4
PH- 7.6
Tot Alk. 91
adj Total Alk. 80

19x37 inground
heyward sand filter.
around 19k gal.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Forget pool store advice and water testing.
2. Invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. Given your description of the water, I urge you get the TF-100 with the XL option.
3. Read, ask questions, learn, while waiting for the test kit.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

4. Test everything and post up results to see what needs adjusted.
5. Follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process

Some other related reading:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Jason summed it all up for you in order, without one of the suggested test kits you are flying blind (I also suggest the TF-100 with XL option as you will go through a lot of reagent from the testing getting the pool cleared and balanced). Once you get the kit in and get us some reliable numbers we can help you on your path to clear water and trouble free pool management.

Ok. Thanks guys. So I understand. I went out and got bleach. I have my chlorine level at around 16, That is what is says for my cya level. Its been a couple hours and I seen have hardly any FC. Should I see FC now or will it take a while? From what i understand Im to keep my chlorine level at 16 until I see a FC at 3-4?

Im reading more about it on here. Actually do I have it backwards???? My FC remains around 0. but my total chlorine is through the roof.

you dont have a reliable cya number, so we cannot calculate your free chlorine level for slam
if your cya is 38 then your slam level is 16ppm free chlorine
you will need to adjust as often as possible
every 2 hours would be great but life commitments come into it, minimum twice per day
try to avoid the pool store as they will sell you magic potions which may make it worse
unless one of the senior members here advise you to buy something
there is no such thing as chlorine lock
what often happens is the cya level is so high that you require a rediculous free chlorine level
which the pool store cannot measure
and welcome to TFP

My CYA level is from testing at the pool store. Im going of of test strips for now till I get a test kit. My total chlorine is appears to be way above 10 according to the color coding on the strip. (Im guestimating of course) The FC has no color on the strip. it should be yellow to purple if there is any FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's your choice about buying an "expensive" DIY test kit. It is hard to trust fanatic strangers... I chose to trust.

The freedom and independence of becoming a pool owner/OPERATOR by getting a kit has been so worth it and the kit has paid for itself over and over and over again.

As the others have said, there really is no substitute for one of our suggested test kits, there is a reason why don't recommend the cheaper OTO or DPD drop based kits or test strips for following the SLAM process, they either bleach out at relatively low FC numbers or provide way too wide of chlorine range when color matching like the OTO test does. In addition a reliable CYA test is imperative to knowing your correct FC target, otherwise it is like trying to drive a blindfolded, sure its possible you may get where you are going, but there are likely to be a few mystery bumps and scrapes along the way.

I absolutely believe you guys know what your talking about. I've just never used anything but test strips and I've never really had this issue till this year. The test strips have always been pretty close to the readings they got at the pool store. I guess this issue will take more accurate readings so I will take your guys advice and order a test kit. Thanks!

You won't regret it. The proper kit will pay for itself the first year in accuracy and minimal use of the proper chemicals in your pool. When you get the kit (TF-100 or Taylor K2006), post some of YOUR numbers and let us take a look. Good luck!

We can help you have a clear pool BUT you have to help us by getting a good test kit.

Until you get your test kit you can add a jug of bleach each day to keep your pool from getting any worse.

Let us know when you get your test kit and we can go from there.

Kim

Ok Thanks. Ill post my numbers when I get the test kit. Now I have another issue, My lever on the my sand filter busted while turnng it to backwash. now I cant run the filter till I get the new part. UGH!!!! lol I will enjoy this pool this summer!!!! lol

:paddle: That WILL be you!

If you want to keep adding bleach while you wait for your parts to come in you can mix it into the water using a straw broom to stir it.

Kim

Ok will do! I ordered it from amazon with 2 day shipping so it wont be too long of a down time, by that time ill have my kit too. my local pool store wanted $50 more than what I got it for on amazon. My pool was kinda greenish when i started adding the bleach. now its a turqoise color and it just looks dirty and cloudy. There is a nastly looking brownish foam that sits on the top of the water, even after multiple shock treatments.

PABEADER, No, Its been getting difficult to turn the last year or so and I usually have to give it some force to turn it. I guess it was due to be replaced anyway.

When you say "shock" treatment what do you mean? As in bags of "shock"?

For right now ONLY use bleach or chlorine please.

The nasty brownish foam is what you are killing with the bleach.

We will get your pool clear!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.