Single Speed Pump Vs Variable Speed....How much are you saving in Electricity????

RESISTENCIA13

May 21, 2015
Scotch Plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I am considering replacement my single speed pump (Just installed last august when my pool was built). I hear people keep saying how it will pay for itself in a couple months, but I am wondering how much actual $ are saved in a monthly basis in comparison to the single speed pump. Any comments from actual people that had a single speed pump and switched to a variable speed pump would be appreciated. I know they all claim of savings up to 90%, but numbers can be very subjective as it all depends on run time of the pump, etc.

What is your power cost?
A 2-speed might make more sense (and NONE are going to save you the price over a couple months).
Cheapest option is putting a 2-speed motor on your existing pump.

Roughly: running on low speed (half speed) of a 2-speed pump moves half the water for 1/4 the amount of power.

A true VS pump could be run at a low speed yet for increased savings, but they are a good bit more expensive upfront.

Do not trust the online $ calculators that the manufacturers post ... they do not compare apples to apples.

Just some relative numbers:

If you switch to a two speed pump and only run on low speed for the same amount of time you did with the single speed pump, you would save about 77% in energy. A VS at lower speeds can save a little more than half of the remaining energy which is how they get to 90% saving but that is only about 13% more than the two speed.

However, there are caveats. Their calculations assume you can actually run at those lower speeds. It may not be possible depending on your setup. For example, may automated cleaners require higher RPM to work properly. Skimming action is decreased with RPM so you may find you need a higher RPM for that. SWGs and heaters both have minimum flow rates that need to be taken care of and I notice you have both so the heat pump will be a limiting factor and for sure you probably won't be using the lower speeds when running the heater.

I have not have a full electric bill yet. My pool was built last year and only used it for one moth and I only received a partial month billing since I opened. However, last year's bill for a full month was $150 less than the partial bill I received.

My 2 speed pump uses about 39 kwh per month in the summer and at $0.30/kwh, that is about $12 per month.

My VS pump running at 1100 rpm draws 150 watts and is plenty of flow to run my skimmers and SWG. And running my solar panels at 1950 rpm draws 550 watts.

6hrs x 150 watts = 27kWh/mo x $0.11 = $2.97/mo when solar isn't running
6 hrs x 550 watts = 99kWh/mo x $0.11 = $10.89/mo when solar is running

If you have the system I think you do. Jandy and use their VS pump it will automatically change speeds for when you cleaner, heater and other things are on. The default pool mode speed can be lowered. I have mine running on 1000 rpm and it only uses 60 watts so I run it 24 hrs a day. Same use a a light bulb. I am in the New Orleans area and the energy co also offers a $400 rebate in the form of a check not tax credit for installing a VS pump. I would check you local and see if they do also. The wiring is the same so easy install but you do have to tell your system that it is a VS or it won't come on. Jandy support can walk you through that on phone. It will pay for it self over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.