Trying to figure out how my system works

Jun 4, 2015
Davison, MI
New pool owner here. Working on slamming it now, but that's another thread. In the mean time I am trying to get the basics of my system down. I had to replace the motor on the pump and that is up an humming along now. (Mind you the pool company quoted me over $800 for a new pump since they said they couldn't get a motor for this old pump. Somehow I managed to find one on ebay within 5 minutes for $150 and it even turned out to be local so I just drive up and got it immediately)

My system has 3 shutoff valves that you can see in the pic. The one on the far right seems to be for the main return jets to the pool. Just left of that turns on some seat jets, I have been keeping those off for now as I'm not sure they do anything but make bubbles for the seats. The one I cant figure out is the farthest to the left. When I open that one I immediately lose prime on my pump so it must suck air from somehwere? Is it maybe connected to the pipe in the middle sticking up in a T shape?

attachment.php

I have a cartridge filter lurking in the background and am a little disappointed I cant vacuum to waste. I am thinking about plumbing a diverter valve in between the pump and the filter to give myself that option. Any thoughts on if this is a good or bad idea? Thanks!

Attachments

• poolvalves.jpg
    poolvalves.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 72
The Tee of pipes is likely an air intake where air is drawn in for the bench jets.

It is odd to not have valves (or a 3-way) on both suction lines. Usually where there are 2 it is for a skimmer and the floor drain. OR the valved one could be for a dedicated suction line for a cleaner.

Have you IDed all the jets in the pool? Any extra holes?

I think so, I have one jet at the far end of the pool opposite the skimmer and then another jet on one side of the pool. Other than that there are two jets in each seat. I'll have to do another visual and try to see if there are any I am missing.

I'm thinking the T is for the venturi jets in the spa which should be on the return side... I can't imaging the suction side being plumbed into that... but I've been wrong before...

I'm wondering it's it's drawing in air from that union just above the valve.

Is your water level above the skimmer? My system is plumbed so that I can turn my skimmer off (for draining I guess)
If your water is not in the skimmer, then that would be where the air is coming from when you turn that valve.

Water is definitely above the skimmer and gets sucked into skimmer when that valve is closed so that leads me to believe the skimmer is coming in thru the side with no valve. Maybe when I plumb in my waste diverter I'll redo some of the plumbing for that valve.

Would the main drain have a separate pipe from the skimmer? Any chance that it is for the main drain? If the main drain was clogged maybe that would cause it to lose prime when I open that valve?

Certainly could be for the floor drain. Or sometimes the floor is plumbed to the bottom of the skimmer.
How many pipes do you see open in the bottom of the skimmer.

"If the main drain was clogged maybe that would cause it to lose prime when I open that valve?"
I wouldn't think so. If it was clogged you would get no reaction from opening that valve. I would guess there is a hole somewhere that you can stick your vacuum hose into.
Do you have pics of the whole area? Including around the pool?

Then it is likely for the floor. If it was plugged, that might allow air to be sucked in ... although with the skimmer still open, the water would be pulled from there.

I might suspect that valve has a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then it is likely for the floor. If it was plugged, that might allow air to be sucked in ... although with the skimmer still open, the water would be pulled from there.

I might suspect that valve has a problem.

I think I've got it figured out. I just opened it without the pump losing prime for the first time ever. Before I was just whipping it open which I think was a mistake. This time I very slowly turned it and could feel the water flowing in from the other suction line. Then I continued turning a little at a time like this until it was fully opened. No loss of prime this time!

Thanks for the help guys! It most likely is the main drain. I will probably get a lot better turn over on the water for the whole pool now.

I think I run about 80% from the skimmer and 20% from the floor (if that much).

I would suggest replacing those valves with good pool valves (like the Neverlube). You could just put a 3-way on the suction side and a 3-way on the return side ... and the 3-way for your new waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.