CyA Testing - Age and Eye Sight

Aug 6, 2008
Honolulu
The other week I was testing my friends pool he is in his seventies and is a retired fighter pilot, a 747 Captain, and was one of more respected 747 flight trainers for new pilots. He does not wear glasses except for reading. I am in my fifties and do wear glasses, short reading eye sight without them is poor, mid-range is ok, long range average.

The results were interesting, he said the CyA when the dot disappered was 50 maybe 60, I saw it as around 35 max 40. It lead me to think that this might have something to do with age and one's eye clouding up as one got older. We enlisted the help of our other friend's 14 year old son, he saw it as 30 dead on, as did his brother aged 12, and his father, 38 years old, saw it somewhere around 30 -35, he wears glasses.

Based on this relatively large differences does anyone know of a better way of testing, and has anyone else noticed this discrepancy?

Aloha.

Be sure to use the pictures in this link as a guide. There's no question that the test is probably the worst one in the test kits. Though it's pretty easy to get one person to read it consistently, getting the same absolute results from multiple people can sometimes be difficult. Most of the people you had do the test thought the reading was around 30-40 while only one person saw it as 50-60.

It may be that a calibrated photometric testing unit would do a better job for this particular test, but the test also has some temperature dependence so one has to be careful about that as well. It's unfortunate that there is no "count the drops" test for CYA, but there isn't.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.