New Pool Owner

Jun 5, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi, I'm a new pool owner in NE Ohio. Pool is up and filling, have a temporary extension cord running to the pump and am waiting for the County to approve the electrical permit.

The pool store we bought the pool from included a Frog Leap Infuser which from everything I've read about is garbage and I'm not going to use except maybe the trichlor for vacations. Not even installing the mineral pack. They gave me a bunch of other things in a pool opening kit. A couple of bottles of zinc based algaecide which I assume I shouldn't use. Some MPS shock, a metal "remover" (I'm assuming this is a metal sequestor which I probably wouldn't need), and a couple bags of Calcium Hypochlorite shock.

I have a TF-100 test kit coming in the mail on Tuesday I plan on starting the motor later today once the water is at the right level. Should I do anything as far as chlorine goes until I get my TF-100 on Tuesday?

Welcome to,TFP!

If you have water, you need chlorine.

Use Pool Math to compute how much stabilizer you are going to need and put half that amount in a sock and hang it in front of a return.

Add about 1/2 gallon of bleach each morning until you get your test kit and can be more precise.

Vermifax, I'm impressed. You speak good TFP and know to stay clear of those "products" pool stores/builders try to push on you. You have good instinct. Not to mention already having the TF-100 on order! Outstanding! If you haven't seen the pages/link listed below in my sig, please do so. You'll be that much more ahead of the game. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

The two most important things to maintain in your pool day to day is chlorine and PH.
PH needs to be kept between 7.2 and 7.8 always.
Chlorine needs to always be kept above the minimum level for your CYA level to keep algae from growing. Chlorine CYA Chart