Algae/dust dilemma

rogtim

Jul 13, 2012
Trying to deal with possible algae issue will do the OCLT tonight, but would like to bump up my chlorine levels today just in case. Brown stuff on bottom and sides of pool, brushes up, water a little cloudy, have had lots of debris from the 500 trees around our place. My question is what is my SLAM FC number with a CYA level at 0 and a SWG? CYA is a pain in my backside--I am afraid to get it too high so I end up adding it very slowly, so slowly in fact that I have never seen the dot disappear despite the liquid running out of the top of the cylinder. I am hoping someone will help me here are my other numbers and pool info. This is my 4th year with our pool, which my husband and I built ourselves from a kit. Have learned a lot--mostly what we should have done as opposed to what we did--have used the test kits (TF 100) and methods recommended on this site since day one and my pool has looked great!

FC: 1.5
CC: .5
CYA: 0
PH: 7.6

Pool Info: 20x40 in ground, 1.5 Hayward super pump, 24T sand filter, Aqua rite SWG, Hayward 400,000 BTU heater
Here's our little oasis in Iowa:

100_2453.jpg

Right now with no CYA you don't want to go higher than 4ppm. You need to add Stablizer to a sock for a target of 30 and set it in top of a skimmer to disolve. Leave the filter running and squeeze the sock to help it disolve. Once dissolved you can SLAM to 12ppm. Don't test CYA again for 1 week as it won't fully show up for one week. Right now all your FC is being consumed by the sun and probably algae bloom trying to kick in.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I'm gonna modify AZgirl's good advice just a little. With hot summer days coming in Iowa, I suggest you calculate and add enough CYA to get to 40 ppm. If you are really worried about overdosing, post back up your intended dosage and many of us will confirm.

Once you dose the CYA, you can SLAM to 16 ppm FC but I am not sure you need to SLAM at all......your water looks beautiful. So does your house.....old farm house??

Welcome to TFP! :) Feel free to refer to the links you see above/below in many of our signature fields as they contain some of the info you were specifically asking about. Might save you some time. As always, if you have any more questions, just ask. As you can see, there are many TFP'ers just a mouse-click away. Have a great swimming season!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I'm gonna modify AZgirl's good advice just a little. With hot summer days coming in Iowa, I suggest you calculate and add enough CYA to get to 40 ppm. If you are really worried about overdosing, post back up your intended dosage and many of us will confirm.

Once you dose the CYA, you can SLAM to 16 ppm FC but I am not sure you need to SLAM at all......your water looks beautiful. So does your house.....old farm house??

Thanks, but not actually a pic from today!! I will try to get one with the algae/dust stuff for expert diagnosis. Yes, our house is an old farm house--my husband's family bought the farm in 1905.

- - - Updated - - -

I will boost my FC a little to 4 and I will get going on the CYA--how often do you guys squeeze it? I have tried that, but it seems like it still takes forever to dissolve. Thanks for the help!!! Timi

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.