What To Fix First? Calcium, PH or Shock?

Apr 23, 2013
I have 3 issues at once & I would like to know which one to battle first.
Don't want to just dump a bunch of different Chemicals in at Once.
I need to Shock It. Calcium Hardness is Low. PH is High.

FC 3 (Algae growing on Pool Walls)
Alkalinity 80
CYA 80
PH 8.2
Calcium Hardness 80 (20' x 40' Gunite Pool: Should Be between 150-200)

Thanks in advance!

Well then, you have a couple issues to resolve based on these readings. Here are my thoughts, others will chime-in I'm sure as well:
- You need to "SLAM" following the instruction from TFP (link below) to remove the algae; but there's two problems ahead of that
a. Your CYA is high for a Non-SWG pool. To SLAM, ideally the CYA level should be about 30. It can be done at higher levels, but 80 is probably too high and the only way to reduce CYA is by replacing some of the water.
b. Your pH is also high, and to SLAM it should ideally be at about 7.2.

All things considered, it looks like you might need to drain/replace some water first to get your CYA down, adjust your PH to about 7.2, then follow the SLAM instructions.

Remember - CYA increases either when YOU add stabilizer, or by using pool store "bags of shock" or pucks - both of which TFP discourages using.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and perhaps some other TFP'ers will reply as well.

It's amazing how fast the Pucks raise the CYA.
I put 2 Clorox (New Product) Pucks per Week.
From 30 the CYA went to 80 in a month.
Ok. I got it. It's going to take tons of Liquid Chlorine.
I may try Bags of Cal-Hypo. But last time I used that, Water was cloudy for 10 days.

Dino, after your last comment ..... just to be clear ... the liquid chlorine (bleach) is used to increase/maintain your free chlorine (FC) not lower CYA. CYA has to be lowered by water exchange - partially drain and re-fill. After that, then you can start to look at beginning the "SLAM". While some of those other products you mentioned may have their place at times, you almost can never go wrong with your basic (regular) liquid bleach. Works very well with virtually no side-effects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.