Buying home with pool - Repaint needed? what would you do?

Jun 5, 2015
middletown, nj
I am buying a home with a painted pool and reading up/learning as much as possible. I grew up around pools so I already have a good idea what I am getting into. I had a pool man inspect it and the report came back clean except for the paint on the walls - Clouds up a little when you rub it and little milky residue on your hand. My inspector says it needs immediate attention, but the water is clear otherwise.

Based on my research here it sounds like pool paint doesnt last too long in the first place. I know the argument against paint, but putting the cash down to replaster on top of the 20% down on the house ... I am getting alligator arms that jsut don't want to reach into my pockets for a replaster right away.

My question: would you have a problem with the pool needing a repaint if you were buying the house? The pool was not opened for the summer when we put the offer in. Being that pool paint doesnt last long would you just let it go or demand pool repaint???? I kind of feel since paint doesnt last too long anyway it is like requesting the trees be pruned before closing.

Welcome to TFP!

Assuming the price was right considering the condition, I wouldn't have a problem. In reality, the pool needs to be re-plastered. The paint is a Band-Aid, but if you are willing to live with that it can keep you going a long time.

You should be able to get a few years with a decent paint job. You can ask for the pool to be repainted before you sign the papers, all they can say is no.

Another option, if you can afford a little more money for the house, try negotiating a price that is a little higher and split the cost of having the pool plastered. This way you would not need very much more money and you get it rolled into the loan.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.