Draining, regardless of setting. Bad selector?

Jun 5, 2015
Columbus, GA
I have water draining through the waste/backwash outflow no matter what setting I select. I have replaced the seals in the handle and the chamber, no effect. I don't want to start spending money to trial-and-error this problem, any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

The problem is almost certainly the spider gasket in your valve. What filter and multiport valve do you have?

Thanks for the welcome, and the quick reply!

The filter is a Hayward s-200 (I think, the label is a bit weathered), the valve a Hayward Vari-flow. If by spider gasket you mean the sort of wagon-wheel looking gasket in the valve, I just replaced it, no change.

OK, after a pretty thorough visual inspection, no cracks are evident. Upon examination of the disassembled valve, I THINK the problem is the lower...part?...not seating fully against the gasket. I think. Thanks so much for your patience, I know I'm a hopeless novice...for now.

I think I found the problem.
A google image search netted me an exploded view of my multi-port valve, and I noticed there is supposed to be a spring on the shaft; a spring which was missing when I disassembled the valve to replace the o-ring. I imagine it died of old age, and I'll maybe find it (pieces, anyway) when I change the sand this year. So, eureka, maybe? Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help, John. You may have not directly pinpointed my issue, but you led me to actually do some research, to stop sounding like such a newb trying to describe my problem to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.