Persistent Algea with successful SLAM?

Byra

Mar 27, 2015
Gainesville,FL
I have the same issue. A green pool even though my FC is consistently 3-4 and my CC is 0. I have a SWG and sand filter and last night i put a cup of DE in the skimmer to try to help it get the smaller stuff.

Based on reading here, even though the CC was zero, I figured it must be algae so I decided to SLAM it. I went ahead and dumped in 8 gallons of bleach last night and got the FC up to about 20. Should I continue this or am I on the wrong track?

What is the solution if it is indeed pollen? Shouldnt the filter be able to handle it?

Without knowing your CYA level we don't know if you have reached shock level or not.

We base our advice on accurate reliable testing and your 5 way kit won't provide the numbers or accuracy we need. We have found that tests based on the Taylor reagents provide the accuracy needed.

Pick up a TF100 as it is the best value in providing the reagents you will need for the SLAM plus have enough left over for a lot more testing

TFTestkits.net

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
Based on reading here, even though the CC was zero, I figured it must be algae so I decided to SLAM it. I went ahead and dumped in 8 gallons of bleach last night and got the FC up to about 20. Should I continue this or am I on the wrong track?
But you did not SLAM it. You only added a large dose of chlorine. The SLAM process is just that.....a process that can stretch out for days and you must hold you chlorine high the entire time.

A picture of your pool water would likely be a big help and then posting ALL your test results would be an even bigger one.

Right, I just started the SLAM last night, but am considering abandoning it if Im on the wrong path. With CC=0 is a SLAM the right course? Ill take pics tonight. Here were the test results before I added the 8 gallons of bleach:
FC=3
CC=0
TA=130
CYA=50
salt PPM = 3500

I updated my signature to show that I now have the good TF test kits.

Thanks!

Right, I just started the SLAM last night, but am considering abandoning it if Im on the wrong path. With CC=0 is a SLAM the right course? Ill take pics tonight. Here were the test results before I added the 8 gallons of bleach:
FC=3
CC=0
TA=130
CYA=50
salt PPM = 3500

I updated my signature to show that I now have the good TF test kits.

Thanks!

ok, so what is your FC after you added the bleach? are you losing FC rapidly? if you tested your FC 1/2 hour after adding it and its say 25ppm (not knowing the number, just for argument sakes) and then you test it after 2 hours and it has dropped a lot, you have an algae problem. if you its pretty steady, then test again after sundown, record it and then test again before first light in the morning. This is the OCLT. if your FC drops less than 1ppm your pool is good and you don't have an algae problem.

report back

if its POLLEN, you need to vacuum/filter to get rid of it is all

Last edited:
ok, so what is your FC after you added the bleach? are you losing FC rapidly? if you tested your FC 1/2 hour after adding it and its say 25ppm (not knowing the number, just for argument sakes) and then you test it after 2 hours and it has dropped a lot, you have an algae problem. if you its pretty steady, then test again after sundown, record it and then test again before first light in the morning. This is the OCLT. if your FC drops less than 1ppm your pool is good and you don't have an algae problem.

report back

if its algae, you need to vacuum/filter to get rid of it is all
I agree with everything but the last sentenance. Filtration has nothing to do with eliminating live algae. Now, if it's dead algae - fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.