Undersized pump?

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
Hi All

Question on pumps. We are using a Tristar 0.5hp pump for our pool, but only have 1.5 inch line. The issue, I am told, is that the Tristar pump cannot draw enough water through an 1 1/2" to completely fill the basket, it needs 2" plumbing for that. It just so happens that this was an afterthought and the pool does not have a 2" suction line. I am also told that if we had a 1 HP Superpump installed there would be no air and there should be no air in your initial pump. Despite all of this, I am also told that the air in the pump does not cause any issues, the heater and salt system will still work with more than enough pressure . Thoughts from the brilliant minds in this group?

Cheers
Tom

18x36 inground vinyl pool with ASG.
sand filter
0.5 hp Tristar
Hayward 250K heater
Direct PV Lorentz Pump, wired to 1,500 W of solar panels.

The Tristar is a high flow pump. Your 1/2 horsepower Tristar is roughly equivalent to a 1 horsepower (uprated) Super Pump in terms of the amount of flow you would see (and in energy cost). So changing the pump will not solve a problem of air in the pump basket. But the pump size is not your problem. As bobo said, your pump is fine. I have a 1 hp uprated pump on 1-1/2 inch plumbing, and I usually have no (or very little) air in the basket. If there is air in your pump basket it is probably due to a suction side air leak. Perhaps air is leaking through the O-ring on the basket. Try lubing the ring to see if that helps. Or a low water level could cause you to suck some air in through your skimmer.

Will give the lube a try. It is a brand new pump though so O ring should be in good shape. Water level in pool is 1/2 way up skimmer, and no air bubbles are coming out of the jets.

18x36 inground vinyl pool with ASG.
sand filter
0.5 hp Tristar
Hayward 250K heater
Direct PV Lorentz Pump, wired to 1,500 W of solar panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.