Cannot get free chlorine up and combined near zero

You are showing a more than 1.5 drop in FC overnight, which is a fail for the OCLT. Time to bring the pool back up to shock level and keep it there. Remember, the "M" in SLAM is maintain, you want to maintain shock level as much as possible.

FC last night at 9:46pm: 37
This morning at 8:20am: 34

My chlorinator was off. We had some pretty heavy storms last night with lots of rain. Would that cause the chlorine to decrease? I know SLAM states no more than loss of 1ppm but I figure this is really close considering the amount of rain. The chlorine held steady all day yesterday in heavy sun with just the chlorinator running and no more liquid chlorine besides what I added the night before.

Jeremy

FC last night at 9:46pm: 37
This morning at 8:20am: 34

My chlorinator was off. We had some pretty heavy storms last night with lots of rain. Would that cause the chlorine to decrease? I know SLAM states no more than loss of 1ppm but I figure this is really close considering the amount of rain. The chlorine held steady all day yesterday in heavy sun with just the chlorinator running and no more liquid chlorine besides what I added the night before.

Jeremy
I think you have something growing in the water. Didn't you have a 1.5 loss the other night on an OCLT? To go from 37 to 34 you would need to dilute about 8% of the total water in your pool, meaning an addition of 2,600 gallons.

My opinion would be to SLAM the pool.

I guess whatever was/is growing is pretty much invisible because the water has been very clear. I noticed these tiny little green things that are probably from the trees nearby, right? (see below) I have been running my pump steady for a while at a low speed and then at a higher speed while trying to resolve this. What rpm should I run this pump on a regular basis? I read the recommendations in pool school which I will summarize as "as long as it takes to keep it clean." The pump ranges from ~800 - ~3000 RPMs.

IMG_2955.jpg

I run my 3hp VS pump at 1100 rpm, 150 watts, for skimming and SWG. 900 works but 1100 gives some cushion for the filter getting dirty to keep good flow to my SWG. We have lots of trees so we need to run the pump a lot to keep the debris in the skimmer and off the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you pass that OCLT you know the pool is clean of the bad stuff.

Passed yesterday. Now I am waiting for FC to drop to a good level for swimming. I am at 25ppm this morning. Based on the CYA chart I think I am shooting for 6-8. Can we swim at 25 with CYA around 80? I need to check the CYA but it was at 89 before I dumped some water. It is supposed to be hot here over the next few days and we are anxious to get in and swim.

Go swimming!! It is safe to swim as long as your FC is below shock level. For 80 CYA that is 31, so it's safe to swim. In reality, it is safe slightly above shock level for you, but your swimsuit will take a beating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.