New to Pools and the Forum

Jun 5, 2015
Beloit/ WI
Hi all. We just had our new 27' installed and currently working on landscaping / deck around it. This site is already look like it will be a great resource. At the moment we are just using test strips, but just ordered a Taylor K-2006 test kit. We had high iron and our water turned green after we were balanced and shocked. We took a sample into a local pool store that told us our water was perfectly balanced though it was lacking stabilizer (it has not yet fully dissolved), but high in iron (well water). We used a metal remover and "sparkle up" which significantly cleared up the water overnight. We also have a Nature 2 which was included in our package....I am getting more nervous about this specific part reading the horror stories on here. I liked the selling point of maintaining lower chlorine levels, but am wondering if I should just take the mineral pack out and only use it as a chlorinator? Nature 2 also says to buy there brand trichlor sticks to use. Can't I just refill the cartridge in there or add my own tabs without their cartridge?

Hello and welcome! If you’re new to TFP, understand that whether you’re new to pools or have had one for many years, you’re probably on this site because something’s just not right with your water and/or you’re looking for some advice related to your pool. TFP is a relatively simple process of maintaining your pool with minimally invasive products – things you probably already have around your house already. TFP always encourages that you do your own testing via one of the TFP-recommended test kits (i.e. TF-100 link below) since accurate test readings serve as the foundation for everything you do from this point forward and the advice you receive on this site.

Golden rule - Avoid the pool store for testing, advice, or products. You simply won’t get the advice/service you deserve and you will waste money on products your pool doesn’t need. Do not add anything to your pool other than what is advocated by the TFP site or its experts. Stop using the 3" tablets as they effects other levels in your pool (i.e. CYA). You’ll have a happier pool, spend less time maintaining your pool, and probably save lots of $$ in the process. Please take a moment to read the following short articles from this site that you see linked in my signature below:

Pool School, Recommended Levels (for YOUR pool), PoolMath Calculator, SLAM, and the Chlorine/CYA Chart - These links will be your handy references with TFP.

If you have any more questions, just re-post to this thread or ask. TFP’ers are always eager to assist. Have a great swimming season!

- - - Updated - - -

Since your water is green, please focus on the SLAM and Chlorine/CYA links. You will need to start getting lots of regular liquid bleach to implement the "SLAM". Do NOT put anything else in your pool right now. Ask us if you have any questions about that process and we'll be glad to help. :)

- - - Updated - - -

We also need a complete set of your readings please (FC, CC, PH, TA, and CYA). CH is fine too if you do it.

Based on your statements it looks like you did some searching on Nature2. This forum is not a fan of adding the minerals into the pool water. Any type of stick or puck is going to continue adding CYA (stabilizer) to your pool. I also have a Nature2 system that was installed as part of the build, but I have never used it. Your best bet is to remove the mineral pack, and start using bleach. You will better served by not using the system at all (mineral packs or as a chlorinator).