Sir Thomas Hobbes

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2015
South Florida
I have the TF100 kit and I seem to struggle with the basic chlorine and PH test. I seem to have a hard time picking the matching colors out. I really like the FC drop test as it is easy for me to do and precise. Is there anyway I can get a more precise PH reading? Any other test or equipment I can buy?

Sometimes when doing the PH test we try so hard to focus on getting an "exact" color match between the water and the vile our eyes/brain get frustrated. Personally, I found my best success to do this test (like some other tests) outside, protecting the vile from direct sunlight (i.e. under my patio or back to the sun). This always seems to help me read/match the colors better. I do the same for my CYA test when trying to stare at that dot. GGrrrrr. :brickwall:

I use the chlorine basic test (the color match yellow drops) as mor of a "yes, there is chlorine in the pool rather than a test to get an exact reading.

For the pH test it is best to hold it up facing a white object (paper or wall) and even then, the difference between let's say 7.4 and 7.5 really doesn't matter. You are never going to be able to keep it at an exact reading, you just want it in a comfortable range.

Too many people worry about having perfect numbers when it is,generally not necessary.

I always put the sun at my back and quickly glance at the vile (my pool fence is white which helps). If I cannot immediately pick out the level, I focus on something else, then look back at the vile. Once or twice doing that and I usually can get my pH level.

Personally, I wouldn't get it. You need to calibrate any electronic measuring device. Getting calibration solutions, and keeping them viable, could be problematic.
this is the biggest problem. All these devices need calibration. Additionally, you need to clean it with distiller water before and after use. After a while folks begin to slack off on the calibration and cleaning - leading to erroneous results.

This thread was helpful to me. For pH, it's the color you're trying to match (try to ignore the saturation level of the color). Some folks use more or less than the prescribed 5 drops to get more or less saturation. I personally use 4 drops, and try to view the comparator with a white sheet of paper in the background.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.