Got my timer, but it may not work?

lovingHDTV

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2007
Round Rock, TX
I just got the Intermatic 3-circuit 120/240v P1353 timer. Unfortionately, the documentation for it that I saw before buying it did not say it has three spst switches, not 3 dpst switched.

Anyone know if it is ok to just switch one leg of the motor? That means I would be leaving on leg hot all the time. My existing switches are dpst, and I can't find a three circuit dpst switch anywhere.

thanks,
dave

After looking around I think I have a plan. As I cannot find a 3 circuit dpst timer anywhere I'm stuck with this timer.

I don't like to just switch one side of a two pole motor because someone working on it may get a surprise they are not expecting when disconnecting the hot leg. So I'll run both legs through my existing dpst switch before the new timer. Then one leg will go to the pump hot, while the second is switched. This allows me to easily disconnect both legs for maintainance work. A little note inside the first switch should inform anyone else as to how it all works.

This I think I'm comfortable with. Just thought I would update the thread in case some one else may be interested.

dave

JasonLion said:
That sounds like a plan. I would probably use a simple switch instead of your old timer, but if everything is already in place then why not.

That was my thinking the switch in place is a big one and can handle the load.

Another idea I had was to hook the new timer up to a single leg, then use it to switch three separate dpst relays. I can get the relays at the electrical supply house to handle the pump motors.

Too many options :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.