TFCP Method Here I Come - First Test with the New TF-100

Jun 2, 2015
Chandler/AZ
I have decided to convert to the TFCP Method after battling with high CYA for the last 2 years. I have floated Trichlor and shocked with Dichlor since I bought my home about 2 years ago because that is what the previous owners have done and that is what the pool stores told me to do. I realize now that I was blind and ignorant and I am here to change that. I began reading up on the forum when I was ready to use my pool this season but could not keep chlorine in it and realized that my CYA was sky high again despite a complete drain and refill 18 months ago. I purchased the TF-100 kit which was delivered today so I decided to test the water tonight. Here are my findings:

Water Temp - 82
FC - 5.0
CC - 0
CH - 750 (30 drops)
TA - 220 (22 drops)
CYA - 240 (Diluted my pool water with tap 1:1, mixed and poured out half, diluted with tap 1:1 again and added reagent in test bottle Tube measured 60 when I could no longer see the black dot, 60 X 4 = 240)
PH - 7.5

Pool looks clear, I have been brushing what I believe to be yellow or mustard algae off of my steps, around my suction cleaner connection and off of the walls for about the last 3-4 weeks.

I am planing to drain and refill to resolve the CYA and CH but it won't be until at the soonest next Friday or Saturday. I want to also start a SLAM that weekend or the beginning of the following week as I have that week off of work and can closely monitor my levels. What would your recommendation be until I can drain. I am not keen on wasting a ton of chlorine to maintain the water conditions just to drain it out next week. I have added 3 gallons of 10% chlorine over the last 48 hours and have been maintaining around FC level of 5. I assume that the algae must be consuming the FC and at the rate I'm going it would cost a lot to get the FC level to the targeted 18 and maintain for the next week. Thanks for the awesome advice and I look forward to mastering my own pool maintenance with your help.

I know this forum loves the pool pics, so here is my pool:
904061_10201213654174535_960151563_o_zpsuaf2x9vs.jpg

Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp.

How much are you planning on draining? If most, why even bother with add any chlorine this week? Since you already see algae in the pool, you are going to have to SLAM anyway after your replace water.

I imagine I will need to drain most of it, I was trying to decide on the tarp method or a simultaneous drain and refill.

I guess before I tested, and came across this forum, I believed I was doing what was needed to keep the pool water clear and sanitary. I have 2 boys that love to swim and I'm not clear if the pool can safely be swam in now, and especially if I stop adding chlorine.

That's why I asked for input because I am clearly not an expert at this and don't want to endanger anyone swimming in my pool until I get it under control.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.