1st test results help!

Jun 2, 2015
Kingston ma
First time pool owner. Just got my tf-100 today and just finished testing. Performed each test at least twice to make sure I got same results. So here they are. Currently pool is pretty clear but deep end seems a tiny bit hazy. I shocked the pool last Saturday with 6 gallons of shock 12.5%. I also have a swg.
Now what should I do? Add stabilizer and slam? Can my cya really be zero?

Fc - 1
Cc- 6
Ch-125
Ta-110
Ph-7.5
Cya- n/a didn't disappear
Salt- 3600

I don't see a result for CYA. In any event, if your FC is 1 and your CC's are 6 (that's really high BTW) there is some organic contamination of some sort. Are you really sure about the CC's being 6? Please post a CYA result as well - it's part of the TF-100. The CYA level determines how much chlorine you need for normal maintenance and for a SLAM Process which you will probably need to do.
See [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for more info on the relationship between chlorine and CYA.

Ok, I see you posted CYA. If the dot didn't disappear, then you basically have none.

You will need to do a SLAM Process for sure. But before you do, run this simple test. Add 10ppm of chlorine (FC) with pump running, then retest FC 30 minutes later. Post the results of that test here.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought maybe that was the case. Do what Bo suggested, figure out how much bleach you need to add to bring your FC up to 10, let that mix for a half hour, and then test again. This needs to be done at night (preferably right now) and shut off your SWG while you do this.

EDIT: If the bottles of shock are 12% liquid chlorine then add both of those and you will be close enough. If they are 10% then add both of those plus 3 quarts of the clorox.

Add chlorine using bleach. Walmart brand is 8.25% use pool math to calculate.
You need to double check the CC that's really high.
I personally do not use shock product. If your CC is that high You need to slam your pool.

how do i add 10ppm of FC? my pool is 27k gallons. I have 2 bottles of shock and 3 bottles or regular clorox.
Per Pool Math, you would need to add 380 oz of 8.25% bleach to raise FC from 0.5 to 10 ppm in a 27,000 gallon pool. If you are using a different strength of bleach, plug that into the PoolMath tool and it will tell you how much to add. Be sure to enter your pool volume at the top of the page.

Re-emphasizing what Donldson said, make sure you turn off the SWG before running the 30-minute test.

how do i add 10ppm of FC? my pool is 27k gallons. I have 2 bottles of shock and 3 bottles or regular clorox.

Go to Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Change the size to 27000.

Plug current FC value into FC Now, plug 10 into FC goal. Change bleach percentage to whatever percentage bleach you have.

If now was .5 and bleach percentage was 8.25, then you need 3 gallons of bleach. 380oz.

Add this with the pump running and test in 1/2 hour. Test again in anouther 1/2 hour to get the difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm sure a more seasoned member will chime in. I have the k-2006 kit not sure difference from your kit but I test mine with 10 ml water level use dpd powder add the correct drops r-0871 until it turns from pink to clear each drop r-0871 counts as .5 mine is currently at 7 (it's raining) then add the 5 drops of r-0003 mine stays clear so my cc is 0

- - - Updated - - -

Double check your adding correct reagents and didn't get them mixed up. Just a thought.

yup i added 10ml of pool water. I then added one heaping scoop(says heaping and also says doesn't matter all that much) swirl it around turns a pale pink. Then one drop of r0871 clears most of it up but the 2nd drop makes it crystal clear. Then add 5 drops of 0003 and turns a brighter pink. takes about 15 drops of 0871 to clear it up

I just re-tested two more times with different water samples. Getting similar results .5-1 FC and 7.5CC.

Yeah, opening to zero CYA, high CC and the inability to keep FC, you have ammonia. Over the winter your CYA was consumed by bacteria which converted it to ammonia. Now you need to destroy the ammonia as well as kill the bacteria before you can add more CYA.

You need to SLAM, but at first you are going to be pouring chlorine in and it will be instantly consumed, like just happened. You will need to grab a lot of chlorine, either 12.5% or regular bleach, whichever is less expensive. You will need a lot...

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

when i read the pool school how to SLAM it says be careful when cya is 0. It also doesn't really give a FC level for 0 cya. I have a swg, do i just follow the lowest cya recommendation (60) which has a shock level of 24? assume that it will take a lot of bleach. according to pool math it says 5-12.5% Gallons to get to 24. How many is a reasonable estimate to buy? 10? 20? i have no idea? TIA!
also anyway to test for ammonia or is it just a given since i have no cya and cc is super high and FC is basically non-existent?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.