Sight Glass and Pressure Gauge have stopped working

May 14, 2015
Lancaster, SC
When it rains it pours. I've just started my SLAM and now I have noticed that the pressure gauge on my Hayward filter isn't working. Also noticed when I backwash that the little sight jar is only half full of water and doesn't seem to move around any. I'm getting a film of algae on the bottom of the glass that doesn't move.

It all sounds ok when running, but I'm wondering how easy it is to fix/replace those things.

I was wondering if perhaps the gauge could just be cleaned. There appears to be some salt creep around the base from a leak at the top of the filter last winter.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the info on the gauge. I will look into replacing that once the SLAM is complete. I don't want to risk breaking something and then my filter not be working at all.

So is there no concern over the fact that the water in the Sight Glass doesn't move? Could there be air trapped somehow? Perhaps just unscrew it and put it back? No chance of breaking my filter doing that correct? I know it is only supposed to move when backflushing, but it doesn't ever move and now it just sits there turning green.

The sight glass is there in case your waste line is plumbed to the sewer or something where you can't see what's coming out. The sight glass lets you see when the water is running clear. It's not under any great pressure. None when you're in filter mode. Just unscrew it and clean it. Put the filter on waste and pump some water straight from the pool out the backwash line and see if it fills the sight glass. If it does, the problem is withing the filter itself, because waste bypasses it completely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.