in the design and bid stage

TsTime

Jun 4, 2015
San Diego CA
Hi all, just getting started and the process has many considerations. What we have so far is design

Lap Style in ground with room for grandkids 46' L x 10' W from 4-6' deep and 2 Baja steps 2' each 8" and 12" and 2 steps to side of Baja steps giving me 42' of lap swim with 2 Sheer decents and out of pool spa 8x6'

Salt Water - 400 BTU Gas Heater - LED Lighting - Variable Speed Pump (not sure of size) - 3/4HP pump for water decents and Booster Pump for High Volume Spa _ Automated Cover - Automated systems
Not sure of Finish yet but leaning to good ol fashioned plaster as younger ones need smooth surface I feel.

Have met with 3 builders 2 referred and 1 from reputation.

Revisions in process and awaiting bids

I need to do my homework on "shot crete" , equiptment brands etc,etc which I am sure will be found here on this site and then I see these great looking fiberglass pools and now really going in circles :confused:

Keep you posted from here on to finish!

My only advice is if you want a lap pool get every foot of lap length you can, this may mean moving the baja steps to a corner, etc. 42 ft may seem like a lot, but you will be surprised how short it is, particularly if you are accustomed to swimming laps in a large pool.

Ike

p.s. I would also go deeper on the deep end, 6 ft is too deep to stand in and too shallow to dive in, it is also awkwardly shallow to tread water in if you are a tall person.

Sounds like fun! The more bids the better. And I'd give them some rope because you might find some things you like on the different builds. It won't give you apples to apples on price, but you should get an idea while learning of different equipment options and other things.

Once you settle in on a person or 2, you can then have them price the exact same stuff and/or come here to bounce the build off of people.

All the best!

- - - Updated - - -

And I second everything Ike just said!

thanks all and all recommendations into consideration. Do most buy their equipment seperatly instead of a whole package from PB. First bid in at $98,000 with spa in pool and pebble finish. Only budgeted for $60,000, ouch

Salt Water - 400,000 BTU Gas Heater - LED Lighting - Variable Speed Pump (not sure of size) - 3/4HP pump for water decents and Booster Pump for High Volume Spa _ Automated Cover - Automated systems
Not sure of Finish yet but leaning to good ol fashioned plaster as younger ones need smooth surface I feel.

attachment.php

Revision has spa coming out of pool and going into hammock corner elevated 2 feet

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 352
That seems like a lot of money, but I see what looks like an outdoor kitchen, a fire pit, a slide and lots of tile on the floors. That can add a lot of $$$. The pool alone seems like $55-60k with a PB. I'd get a number of itemized quotes and reach out to people like macdee for help on recommendations. I found there are a lot of PB's that quote top dollar, but there are a few that are good and work off of volume.

We are inching are way forward, yesterdays meeting with PB who submitted first proposal was beneficial. We went over a few changes, stone & tile selections, equipment brands and agreement language. I just finished what I'll call a clarification email asking for entire verbal in writing including a detailed equipment list.

As for the finish we seem to like the feel of plaster.

His price came down $20,000 from first meeting that had electric heater and mini pebble as finish, a few other oversights and corrections from this PB

Should be meeting with your builder next Weds, how many visits and revisions, clarifications did you have, just curious. After reading on forum I want to be sure all is in writing and know exactly what we are getting.

Take care, sunny skies ahead. GT

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you are doing it right! Talk and write it all out!

One person made sure to even write down the model numbers and it paid off when the PB dropped off a much lower level set of equipment. Since the owner had all of the model numbers written down in the contract he got what he order and paid for!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.