Pool pump quandary

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
My current pump is an antique bronze Jacuzzi driven by a 1hp 220V 56C motor (possibly the last one on the planet). The 56C means it doesn't have a screw-on impeller, it has a keyed shaft and the motor shaft doesn't even enter the wet end of the pump. It runs pretty quiet and I've rebuilt the pump section easily in the past.

However, my single speed motor is an electricity hog and I'd like to do something about that. My most recent electric bill has my average Kwh rate at $0.11 although, since that's based on a usage tiered system with a low $0.05 base rate, the less I use, the more I proportionally save.

At the same time I change the motor I'm also thinking of dropping down to a 3/4hp version. My pool has a single skimmer, 3 returns and no other water features or loads except for a Kreepy Krauley pool cleaner.

One of my big concerns is noise. I live in the city with neighbor's homes within 5' of the property line, and a lot that's only 60' wide. I'm happy with my current equipment noise level but I'm concerned that if I switch to a new motor/pump combination, it's going to be a screamer in comparison. Are current model pumps generally quiet? Are some better than others? Is it all a mute point, and is every pump quiet when operated at low speed?

And one last question, generally, are the wet end's of current pumps better than the 1960's dinosaur I have so that a drop to performance of a 3/4hp will generally be made up by improved pump design? Thanks.

Well, although I'd like to know some about pumps, and my circumstances in particular, the 4835Kwh (58 days) usage shown in our $556 electric bill that drove me to post appears to be an error. Just went out to the electric meter and it shows a reading that's far lower than what the bill says. Recomputed the bill and it should really be $95. $461 savings! Too bad it isn't something I could take to the bank...or buy a new pump with.

I'm sure you know, but the first and foremost energy saver is pump run time. Keep cutting it back until your pool is no longer clean enough.

Yes, I probably haven't got to that min run time yet. I've run the pump for longer periods recently to clear the water of the "plaster dust" episodes I experienced. I will definitely work towards min run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.