Cloudy Saltwater Pool with Algae, I need your guidance!

Hi! I am new to TFP and have read many threads to try to solve my problem before starting my own thread!
I have had an AG saltwater pool since 2008 and other than having to replace the SWG due to lightening strike, the pump because it died and the actual pool in 2013 because it was totally rusted out I have really not had many problems. My water has for the most part always been crystal clear until now. My pool water has been cloudy since Mother's Day and I believe I have an algae problem. I have, of course, been back and forth to the pool store with no success other than wasting money! So in a desperate attempt I came across this site and now, I turn to the pool geniuses, all of you, for your help! Being an RN I consider myself to have more patience than most but this is about to drive me crazy! I have tried to gather all the information you may need and tried to do as many of the suggestions I have seen in other posts but now I feel like I may need step by step guidance!

I received my FAS-DPD test finally and my results as of this afternoon at 5:39 are:
FC 0
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 410 (the color wanted to stay purple but I finally got it to blue!)
CYA 20 (I saw the black dot until the water was ALL the way to the top, I guestimate it to be about 20)
CC 0.5

I also ordered the K-1766 Salt Kit but have not received it yet. And my understanding is I don't need to worry about the salt at this time. Prior to receiving my kit, I have been pouring 1 gallon of Great Value Bleach in each night in an effort to do something/anything to help! I vacuumed the pool yesterday as best I could not being able to see the bottom. I also cleaned my salt water cell this weekend. After the cleaning I still have the solid 'Check Salt' and 'Inspect Cell' lights on.

The readings on my AquaTrol SWG this afternoon, although I have never been able to figure out what all of them mean...in this order as I press the diagnostic button:
100p
AL-7
r1.45

Like I said, I tried to include all the information including today's picture below, but I am sure I have missed something! Your help is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance!
attachment.php

Attachments

• 06042015.jpg
    06042015.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 193
Thanks so much! I really hate to sound like an idiot but I am definitely feeling like one right now! I made notes that bleach = sanitizer, baking soda increases alkalinity, borax increases pH but apparently I didn't make a note about the CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

I am confused about why I would need to decrease my pH...shouldn't it be 7.5 - 7.8. I am definitely not questioning the suggestion, I am just trying to understand!

Thanks for your help!

Because the first step of the SLAM process is to lower the pH.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate taking notes, but it is all written out for you in Pool School.

Also, using PoolMath to calculate your chemical additions will tell you what chemicals to use.

we will get you going :)

use pool math to know exactly what and how much to add to your pool http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
you will need to add CYA to get started HTH Stabilizer and Conditioner: Outdoor Play : Walmart.com
you want to start out at CYA of 30 until your done slamming, if you are at a CYA of 10/20 you would add 2 pounds of CYA and test 7 days from when you add it.. once added, put 30 CYA in both column's in pool math until you test in 7 days...
add bleach/chlorine Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart you need to keep your chlorine above 12 as much as humanly possible, go to 14 and stay above 12... in the pool calc, put what you test at in the left column and put 14 in the right, it will tell you how much to add, this is your freebie :) you would put 2.5 gallons of 8.25% 128oz bleach bottles, let circulate 1 hour and test and put that number in the left column and add what it says..

let us know what the next reading is...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This morning I did still have FC of 1.5 which is better than 0! I went ahead and tested my CYA and got 55. I tried to dissolve the granules instead of paying big money for the liquid form. It didn't exactly go as I had hoped and turned into more of a slush so I was somewhat concerned about it. My understanding is 55 is ok but means I have to use more chlorine to shock. So now with a CYA of 55 my FC goal is 24? I am new at this and would like some clarification that I am on the right train of thought.

My numbers at 0730...
FC 1.5
PH 7.2
CYA 55
CC 0.5

Thanks so much for your help!

you are correct :)

the recommendation for SWG pool is 70/80 CYA but it does make it harder to SLAM..

For SLAM you want it closer to 30 CYA but you are fine....

you do NOT want to go below 20fc, add to 24/26 and test as much as you can.. if it goes below 22 add again to take it to 24/26, even if it is 1 hour later...

the last time before you go to sleep add 30fc, that is below mustard/yellow algae from here Chlorine/CYA Chart that will get you through the night :)

I will have added a grand total of 14 gallons of bleach today shortly! I had to make a trip to get more and was gone longer that I expected...you know you see everyone in
Wal-mart and have to block the aisles to talk! Below is my break down!
0742 FC 1.5/PH 7.2/CYA 55/CC 0.5...swept/moved steps/added 7 gallons
1256 FC 15.5...swept/moved steps/added 3 gallons
1530 FC 25.5...swept/moved steps/none added
1915 FC 20.5...swept/moved steps/added 2 gallons
2240 FC 23...adding 2 gallons to get up to 30 through the night

Am I testing enough or should I be testing after adding the bleach just to get the levels? Tomorrow I probably wont be home as much as I was today so should my goal be to get the FC high enough to sustain until I get back like upping to 30 over night?

I am actually enjoying this process thanks to all of your help and information! I usually nurse people but right now I am feeling like a pool nurse! :cool:

you are on it, bring it up a little higher when you will be gone, you don't want it below 20..

Keep it up, your chlorine/bleach amount will get less as you kill those greenies :)

you are on your way to a crystal clear pool :)

Wow! That pool was eating up some chlorine over night! At 0815 this morning the FC was 19! The water looks much clearer as you can see in the photo however there is a lot settled on the bottom! I am about to vacuum it with my nifty pool vac that does not attach to the pool to get some of that mess out of there!

The more junk you can vacuum out the less work the chlorine has to do. The chlorine will try to oxidize anything organic, so help it work,by getting stuff off the bottom. Don't forget skimmer baskets and things like that - keep them cleaned out of leaves.

Day 18 and I am still at it! The water does look tremendously better but I surely didn't anticipate owning stock in bleach at this point! To the best of my calculations I have added 60 gallons of bleach! Around day 7 I had to order refills for FC and CYA testing. While I was not able to test I kept pouring bleach in like I was before I ran out. I am still losing FC because of the sweltering sun and have added more stabilizer in an effort to hold the FC. However I am not losing to the extent I was when I began this challenge!
FC 06/21 2042 was 24...added 1 gallon of 10% bleach
06/22 1229 23...am about to add 2 gallons to get above 30
PH 7.5 - 7.6
TA 90
CH 80
CYA 50
CC <0.5
20150616_183922_resized.jpg

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.