Hayward NorthStar noisy at startup

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Just fired up our 0.5 HP Northstar for the season. Initial startup was fine because it was priming, but once I turned the pump off to do some work, then turned it back on, it makes a screeching noise for about 30 seconds. The noise then goes away and the pump runs without issue (primes, little to no air in the pump basket, etc)

Any easy way to figure out if its a motor or impeller issue? I was thinking motor since it happens at every startup, figured once the noise went away if it was something in the impeller area it would be "away" for good.

Everything on it is original, so its all now about 12 years old.

And if its the motor, any suggestions on replacement? Dont really have the time to deal with replacing bearings and would like to go to something more efficient anyway (2 speed motor replacement or even a whole new 2 speed pump). Need to consider what flow rate is required to get the AutoPilot to kick in, would be nice to have it operate normally even on low speed so I dont need to worry about switching.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Nearly any 2-speed pump/motor should have adequate flow on low speed for the SWG to activate.

Simplest would be to just find a 2-speed version of your existing motor and install on your existing pump. Adding a manual switch to control the speed.

Nearly any 2-speed pump/motor should have adequate flow on low speed for the SWG to activate.

Simplest would be to just find a 2-speed version of your existing motor and install on your existing pump. Adding a manual switch to control the speed.
Thanks.

I was looking at a two speed motor to replace the existing but after buying the motor and new wet end parts to replace while it's all torn down, I'm within 100 or so of an all new 2 speed pump (b973 + parts vs Maxflo xl 1hp 2 speed)

What wet end parts are you replacing?

Even with double the horsepower, the Maxflo is a smaller pump than your NorthStar I think.
Although I see no reason that you would need to keep a larger pump.

What wet end parts are you replacing?

Even with double the horsepower, the Maxflo is a smaller pump than your NorthStar I think.
Although I see no reason that you would need to keep a larger pump.
I priced out an impeller kit and go kit for o-rings. If careful I can avoid replacing the impeller but I wanted it on hand just in case.

Using the pump tools workbook, the Maxflo at high speed is about the same flow as the north star but the Maxflo stills less electricity to do it

I'm not sure how too estimate the north star with a two speed motor

Where are you located? Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Ah good that you are looking at the performance curves. Go with the Maxflo then ... there is also a VS version, not sure if your power cost warrants it though.

Didnt notice I never added my location, sorry about that

Im in Milford, CT. So we have a relatively short season (3-4 months) but not the cheapest electricity in the world (about $0.22/kwh)

Ive looked at the MaxFlo VS as well. Its nice that its a fairly affordable vs pump, but Im not sure if I believe the numbers I see. Almost a "too good to be true" deal, even with my short season.

I was calculating about 20/month in savings going from the NorthStar to the MaxFlo 2 speed, or about 27/month saved by going MaxFlo VS.

Can the pump tools workbook be used to estimate the savings of the same pump (NorthStar) but with a 2 speed motor?

Also, when looking for a replacement motor, should I be taking into account the service factor as well? Because my 0.5HP NorthStar has a SF of 2.1, so technically its a little over 1HP.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Thanks again.

I think Ive narrowed it down to a few pumps:

MaxFlo XL 2 speed, 1HP
Superflo 340042 2 speed 1HP
MaxFlo variable speed, 1.5HP
SuperFlo 342000 variable speed, 1.65HP

Priced out a replacement 2 speed for my Northstar, from electric motor warehouse Im looking at the B973 (because after taking SF into account, the 3/4HP there is closest to the 1/2HP I have now), which is 300.00 for the motor alone. If I could figure out the exact seal I need, the wet-end parts wouldnt be too expensive (new oring kit + seal is probably 40 or so). But I bought my Northstar in 2003, and sometime in 2003 Hayward changed some of the wet end parts...so I have no way of knowing (without taking it apart) exactly what seal part I need. I *can* buy a complete impeller kit that comes with a seal that definitely fits it, but that ups the part cost and when all is said and done, it would be around 400.00 just for the parts.

MaxFlo XL 2 speed is about 430.00 online. Id just as soon spend the extra 30.00 and get a whole new pump

I listed the variable speeds there because they are the less expensive versions (i.e. not all the features of the EcoStar or Intelliflow equivalents), so the price differences are about 200.00. Now, we have a short season up here in CT, maybe 4 months of run time. If Im reading the pump tools workbook correctly (and thats a BIG if), I could save an additional 10.00 or so per month in electricity by going with the VS versions. 200.00/10.00 = 20 month return, or in my area, 5 seasons worth (granted, it would be shorter than that because when opening I run 24/7 for about a week to clear up the pool)

Our electrical costs are about $0.22/kwh.

I feel like the VS versions might be a good idea, but at the same time I feel like its a wing and a prayer to see if they really return what they say they do. Whereas 2 speeds are pretty easy to be sure of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.