New Cooper Pool stain

Jun 4, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hello, I just had my above ground pool installed last summer. When I opened it this summer it was clear as could be but within a week there was a large black stain across the bottom of the liner that would not scrub off not matter how hard I tried. I went to my pool store and was told it was a copper stain from using Kleen Pool algicide. They have had me dumping lo and slow into the pool to reduce the PH level and claim once it is under 6 that the stain will magically lift and go back into solution. I have now bought 4 8 lb canisters of lo and slow to lower my PH and the stain does not appear to be lifting (although it may be getting lighter I'm not sure). My PH is now at 6.3 and my alkalinity is extremely low because of all of the lo and slow I have used. Please help, how can I get rid of this stain without continuing to buy the lo and slow and how can I prevent it from coming back again? Thank you in advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

:cop: Step away from the pool store with your wallet in your pocket :D

You can not remove a stain by just lower the pH ... and there are certainly better and cheaper products to lower the pH.

How big is the stain? Add pictures.
What test kit are you using?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

attachment.php
attachment.php
Here are the photos of the stain. Thank you so much for your help. I do not use a test kit, I just bring my water to the pool store and they tell me what I need.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 73
So, do you see the problem with asking them to test your water and then telling you what you have to buy? Bit of a conflict of interest, or a fantastic business plan.

Newer copper stains can be removed using citric acid. However, you'll need to get the copper out of your pool and that will require either water replacement or ongoing use of a metal sequestrant product or short-term use of the CuLator product (contacting the company directly if it doesn't work initially; we've had mixed results but when they help directly it's been OK).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.