Black water to clear water, HELP!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We do not ever recommend just "dumping" stuff in. The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS.

So, first step is investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits and posting up some results. Given your description, I urge you to get the TF-100 with the XL option so you have a lot of the needed reagents. The SpeedStir will also make the testing easier, but not required.

You are certainly going to have to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process, but may need to make some adjustments first.

While waiting for the kit, check out Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

These also may help in understanding what is ahead of you:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Welcome to TFP!

Also while waiting, get out that leaf rake and scoop everything out of the pool. The less debris in the pool the faster the SLAM will go and it will use less chlorine. Look for Richard320 post on inspirational links for some swamp to sparkly pools.

Greetings Ckruegs! In addition to what the experts have said already, I'd like to add that besides the outstanding advice and support you will find this site, understand it will be different from that of your local pool stores or builder. Why you might ask? Because it has been proven time & time again that the pool stores simply do not provide accurate testing of your water (for many reasons), employees don't always understand the chain-reaction of chemicals (effects) going into the pool, and they are a business that relies on "selling" products for a profit that don't really work. Once you read the links above or in my sig below, you will find that TFP employs the use of basic household items (i.e. regular bleach) to maintain a crystal clear pool. The products, used as noted in these links, are safe for your family and your pool If you try TFP, you won't be disappointed, and will be in charge of your pool. Welcome! :wave:

A couple of details missing from your pool details signature that we need to know, what type of pool surface do you have (vinyl, fiberglass, plaster, etc.), and what kind of filter (sand, DE, cartridge)?

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pools clean and cloudy now, here are this mornings numbers:

TC 1.0
PH 7.5
CYA 20
TA 176

any help with cloudiness would be greatly appreciated also along w/ other numbers.

now that the pool is clean on the bottom I plan on poruring in bags of salt, any idea How much to start with? Remember this is the first use for 2 years.

thanks as always.

Ck

Need to test the salt to get some idea where you are first. What does the SWG say it is?

Why is FC at 1, is algae consuming it faster than you can add it? That is algae level. Even when not slamming it should always be 3-5 ppm with CYA at 20. Chlorine CYA Chart

Need to test the salt to get some idea where you are first. What does the SWG say it is?

Why is FC at 1, is algae consuming it faster than you can add it? That is algae level. Even when not slamming it should always be 3-5 ppm with CYA at 20. Chlorine CYA Chart

yes, I think there is a little algae still floating around the pool. The filters have little to no green on them now so I should be algae free soon.

Ck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.