Teach me your chemistry!

May 31, 2015
Plano
Ok, so I'm ditching the pool store and I'm going to need your help! My pool looks amazing after you all helped me through a nasty algae issue. I had the water tested assuming it would be perfect because it just looks SO pretty! Unfortunately, it isn't and they (of course) suggested that I purchase 4 different products to balance it. I know my first step is to purchase my own tester. Can y'all recommend one that is accurate and decently priced? Ok, for the chemistry...... here are the readings they came up with. I just did a huge dose of chlorine to kill the algae so why am I back down to zero?
e48ec4c157c0ec99593e318ea5dbc8aa.jpg

Easy, here is the kit you want. Do not confuse cost with value. This is the best value out there for a test kit

TFTestkits.net

The chlorine question is easy, your pool consumes chlorine every day. You have to add it every day.

The teaching is above this post under the link to Pool School.

Oh, Welcome to TFP!

Many of us have been in your shoes and you are making the best decision imaginable to test and maintain your own pool. I was ignorant of basic principles allowing the pool store to misguide me. With TFP, and my TF-100 test kit, my pool is crystal and requires very little effort to maintain. As you go through the TFP site and/or the links below in my sig, you'll begin to understand why it works....and what the pool stores do NOT tell you.

Oh, and don't forget to update your "signature" located under you profile settings with your pool information. That comes-in quite handy. Welcome! :wave:

Yes, between bathers and sun, you will have to add chlorine frequently. Initially, it will likely be everyday. At this moment, you must add some or you are going to be fighting algae again. Use Pool School to figure out how much. Once you get it under control and start to understand the chemistry, you might be able to go two days but you will have to check it everyday. There are ways to add liquid chlorine of you desire but that is probably a bit in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.