Simple Dual timer

H2O_Keeper

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
SW Indiana
Greetings all...

I want to time my pump and peristatic unit with a 24hr timer.....I know there are a lot of intermatic units to handle the current needs for a pump and another device but they are expensive. I have found other threads and those are the only kind shown.

I already have relays to handle the loads, so all I need is a lightweight timer for sequencing them on seperate timers to bring in the relays.

Thought of two basic household timers to do this but is a little cumbersome space wise in my electrical box and I somewhat wanted to be assured they stay in sequence with each other (gain/loose over time).

Anyone know of anything under $100 for something like this? Have already browsed the bigger industrial catalogs, no luck...The household light ones go for $10 looking for something in between, perferably something timed down to 1 minute increments. A lot of single timers, but no luck with two independent time circuits same main unit.

I have a similar question. I have a standard manual dual timer to turn on my pumps. It is on a 24 hour cycle. However, I would like to have the option of running my Polaris with booster every other day during the winter. Right now it runs every day at the set time. Any suggestions on what I can use to keep the main pump as is and run the booster with Polaris the days I want it to run? Thanks.

I do not have any computerized Aqua link type system.

Gregg123 I can help with your question with a few options...

1. You can buy higher end timer units through some of the big industrial supply companies (MSCDirect, Grainger, McMaster Carr, etc). They have programmable units that can handle the pumps load. You will need to make sure you get one the handle the amperage for your pump. The intermatic series is a big player and I'm pretty sure they have a model for you. This option will be around $400+ for this heavy of a duty unit for the current needs and the flexibility to tell it what days of the week you want to run and times.

2. You could set it up with an industrial counter to control a relay (relay MUST be able to handle your polaris current). Basically the relay clamps off the voltage to the Polaris until it is energized. The relay only has permission to be energized based on whatever value you have the counter unit setup for (ie 1 for summer, 2 for winter). WIth this combo you will need to make sure you get a counter that has controlled outputs and make sure you know what needs to be done to reset it.
A little cumbersome wiring and cost wise but would work. For the relay and counter you may be into it for $200.

3. Same basic concept as number 3 but use a relay to clamp off the power to the polaris and use a basic timer you can get in any hardware to control your lights while on vacation etc....You could set it up so that say you want it to only run from 11:00pm to 5:00 am, thus effectively lowering its use.
Edit: Reference removed to using as concept with SWG.

If it was my setup I would probably lean for option 3 due to cost. It gives you a lot of flexibility as long as you are comfortable with inserting a relay in your circuit and wiring a timer to bring in the relay (you have to make sure volatages are right for the COIL of the relay). If you are not comfortable with adding in a relay and wiring to do this I would go for option 1. Option 2 was only thrown out there as an exact alternative to skip days at a lower cost to option #1.

Just make sure whatever you use you pay attention to the volatages and currents at hand for the task and you will be fine.

Edit: Removed details on using option #3 to give more adjustability of SWG

investindy said:
Anyone reading this my option 3 would work for most if you have bought too powerfull of a SWG unit and need to lesson its time in relation to your pump run time.
This is actually totally unnecessary and also not the best way to utilize a SWG. I am assuming you have no actual experience with a SWG. The easy way to do this is to lower the output percentage. You actually DO want the SWG to be operating the whole pump run time so chlorine is being added slowly and constantly. (same idea for peristaltic pumps)
The output percentage adjustment controls how much time the cell is actually on and producing chlorine during the pump run time (i.e. at 50% the cell will only be on half the pump run time, the on/off periods vary by manufacturer but the percentage is usually how much the cell is on per 60-100 minutes of pump run time.)

As far as a way to give advice regarding additonal control over the BOOSTER I was refering to I am submitting it as an option to insert the capability of the timer all the time "on" in the summer and insert limited time for the "winter" mode. Thus the timer/relay combo gives that without an entire new controller.

Per WaterBear there is no need to do this with a SWG if you have the power and flexibility to dial it in under normal circumstances. I should of preferaced the concept I was indicating was in response to posts I have read they are having trouble getting it down low enough even on limited times and settings to dial it in. IF you limited the time it will give back more adjustability in power. Just a concept, not a means to do it. I am going to edit that section out if anyone has read it before my edit.

Tim

Well I found what I needed a lot cheaper for anyone trying to help. At Loews they have digital timer for household stuff actually two.....The one I liked is the DT620CL and even has battery backup built-in........It doesnt advertise this beacasue on the back it says minimum time as 15 minutes but it actually goes to one minute AND can be progammed individually per day, week, weekend, sunrise, sunset, etc...Its a lot more powerfull then what the package shows, website tells more....

For my dual needs I will just use two of these, they will stay close enough in sequence...This and a relay I will be able to control my pool pump for whatever I want for less than $60...Half the cost of an intermatic pool timer. Then use the other one to dial in pump run times, whatever I want to the minute.

Here is a link (no I dont work for Intermatic or Loews)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

As a side note I found some basic light timers that were electrical/mechanical and even though they advertised down to 15 minutes it sometimes wouldnt shut off with this tight of a band, bad news if dosing Chlorine...They are meant more for rough times and greater than the minimums.

Note: Anyone planning to do anything similar make sure your pumps current is less than the timers current rating or you will need to use a relay as I did, without it its very unsafe.

I have seen Intermatic and TightWatt for about the same price. Intermatic has many different models. The least expensive ones are cheaper, the most expensive ones cost more. Overall I don't see any significant installed price difference.

TightWatt will tend to save you money on electricity, which can be significant. On the other hand owners tend to complain about TightWatt saying that the pump isn't running when they expect it to be running. That is of course the whole point of getting a TightWatt, it reduces pump run time automatically when the temperatures are cooler, but it still bothers some people.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.