volleyball-have to decide by the morning

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know how I haven't decided this yet, but the pb is telling me the volleyball/umbrella sleeve is 1 1/2" and the better volleyball nets that r stainless steel and r custom for a narrow pool like mine (12') need a 2" sleeve or will cost me another $350 for a more narrow pole.

i have to decide if i should let the pb install the umbrella sleeves or order 2" stainless steel sleeves and get them installed later. i also have to decide if i should have the volleyball sleeves drilled into our coping only pool or outside into the dirt where there probably won't be much foundation for it to be as stable.

if i have it on the coping it's in our walking way but prob more sturdy.

with a salt pool do i really need stainless steel poles? should i get the poles in the coping or in the dirt outside of the pool so i can get any kind of volleyball net at any supply store?

the set that is powder coated aluminum at leslies pool supply is $99 and the custom net is $500 and i have to find someone to install the sleeves. thanku!

Had them installed at previous house ... used a handful of times is all.
I guess depends on whether you think you will use them.

You can make them just as strong outside the coping by burying them in concrete ... although that is still going to be in your way when walking around the pool.

You do not need custom nets, just wrap the net around the pools to shorten them before you stick them in the sleeve. Unless you are looking at getting a very fancy heavy duty net for aesthetics ... I would stick with the cheap ones (for how like we used it).

the owner of the paver installation company came to show me the basketball sleeve and umbrella sleeves and set my mind at ease. he said the same thing u did, jblizzle, about using the volleyball net. he said for how things get ruined in the sun here, there's no sense to buy a fancy net and most people don't use them as much as they think they would. he said it's better to just update the cheapie ones every yr, which I guess we'd get more out of them than that. he said in the 3 yrs he's done pool coping and patios he's never seen anyone ask for a different size umbrella sleeve or basketball sleeve. the custom volleyball place told me they can't be wrapped around the pole. maybe since they just want us to buy them custom cut. he also showed me the basketball sleeve. it's 4", plenty for a 3 1/2" pole. the salesman was wrong AGAIN and I called and searched around for a 3" pole not finding anything for nothing. maybe I should just trust the process more. it's hard when there has been so much miscommunication. the shotcrete and paver guy both talked very highly of our super and that this pool company is the only one he'll work with. I think we've just had some probs mostly cuz the salesman. sorry for going on a tangeant. :)

Hi! Do you play volleyball all the time? We only put it up for parties- so super cheap method, cinder block and pvc pipe- worked just fine- even with that big planter "in the way" :)
As for the umbrella sleeves- had 2 in the Baja step- never used it, waste of $500!

all great suggestions. thanku! i never liked volleyball truthfully. i figured the kids would, though. i have 3 kids. so, maybe i won't use it as much as i thought we would. i'm gonna go cheapy on volleyball and not worry about it so much. if macdee uses cynder blocks in that resort pool i really shouldn't worry about it. ha ha ;)

Funny Outdoorsgal!
The basketball got more use than the volleyball with the kids. We just put that out onto the new pool, haven't unpacked the volleyball net yet - I'm sure I didn't throw it out with the move LOL

It's all about our kids right?- that includes my husband the big kid :)

macdee, yep, all about the kids. :) i have to say i wish i made the baja step bigger. 40 x12' pool and i only made the step 7 x4'. i am active, though, but jeepers, i went overboard on saving space for volleyball. oh well. it'll be great. it'll have to cuz i'm not changing the baja step now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.