brysclar

May 11, 2015
Tampa, FL
I just moved into this house and inground pool maintenance has quickly become my new hobby/obsession. My pool holds about 10,000 gallons. Running the filter for 4 hours, dropped the water level about an inch. Obviously, not a good thing. I left the pump off for a day, and had barely any water loss, so I know it's a plumbing issue. Problem is, I don't see any leaks! I assume that means I'm losing dozens of gallons of water underground. That scares the bejeezus out of me. Is my assumption correct? Is there any other diy troubleshooting I can do or do I need a pro? Thanks for your help!

Losing more water when the pump is running that when it is off typically points to a leak on the pressure side of the pump.

I am not sure how to DIY locating the problem.

First, you need to fill out your signature so we know what kind of pool and filter you're dealing with. As the season progresses and people get more and more burnt out, you're going to find people less and less inclined to even bother trying to help people who won't share even the most basic information.

Second, I'd suspect a leaking spider gasket in the multiport valve before I'd suspect underground plumbing breaks. But, that's just a wild guess, since I have no clue what kind of equipment you have.

Called in a leak locator. He found cracks in both return fittings. He sealed up the cracks with epoxy, and recommended replacing both returns for $1900. He also mentioned he saw old repairs in the returns, leading him to believe there is some movement or outside force putting undo stress on the fittings. Good news: I'm not losing water anymore. Bad news: It's only a matter of time...

He pressure tested the return lines. Neither one held. Then he visually inspected the fittings, and found cracks in both of them. After applying the epoxy, he pressure tested them again to confirm those were the only leaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.