Slamming with NO CYA!! Help!

Jakin

May 8, 2014
OK
Hello! Yet again we closed inappropriately so now we pay the price! Trying to get pool opened and started slamming Monday! Still at it ... Problem was I was out of CYA reagent so I was keeping FC at 20 as a best guess...got the reagent yesterday and results are nil! I've tested twice to be sure and the mixture is completely clear! So assuming this is accurate and I have none...is this going to make slamming easier or more difficult?? And as frequently as we are back washing, I'm not seeing how I could add any stabilizer at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Results at first test this am:

pH 7.6
FC 11.6
CC 2
Alk 110
CH 100

Jakin, when looking at the Chlorine/CYA chart (linked below), one might assume lower (CYA) is better to save on bleach right? But not when it's below 30 as noted above by jblizzle. Then you simply lose it to the sun and defeat your purpose. You might have to hold on backwashes long enough to hold CYA at 30, then resume backwashing. Just a thought. Otherwise, you run the risk of going through a LOT or bleach during these hot days with no guarantee you'll be able to maintain the minimal FC for SLAM..

Links and info from a previous post from JasonLion:

"It is important that the CYA level not be zero. If CYA too low, you will lose too much chlorine to sunlight, and the algae will be able to get ahead of you. If your CYA level is below 30 you should add CYA/stabilizer to around 30 ppm by putting it in a sock in the skimmer (or you can use dichlor if you have some on hand and know what you are doing). Don't pour CYA directly into the skimmer, since you will be cleaning/backwashing the filter, and any undissolved CYA will be wasted, as it can take CYA up to a week to dissolve. Remember to retest CYA and adjust as needed once the algae is gone."

Full link HERE:

Ok so when I've added stabilizer before I put it in a sock and dangle it in front of the return flow. With me running my pump 24/7 I don't know how I can get away without back washing for a week. There's no way! We're doing at at least twice a day now! Do you think I'll truly loose that much by back washing? Should I try and just wait 24 hrs to back wash? I've already gone theough 18 jugs of chlorine obviously lol. Going no where fast!

If you use the sock method (especially if you dangle it in front of a return and not set it in the skimmer) ... there is no real worry about backwashing.

BTW, are you only backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I swear on my life to close properly this year!! This is so dumb to do this to ourselves each year! And I thought it'd be easier this year since I've got the slamming process down. But alas now no cya lol. Always something! Is it true that if we close and cover with clear water we'll take the cover off with fairly clear water??

If you close the pool late enough, boost the FC level, and open the pool early enough ... then it should be clear.
There are articles in Pool School about closing and opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.