Filter sand pumping into pool on start up

Jun 22, 2013
Every time I turn the pump on, it shoots a cloud of sand in the pool for 3-5 seconds. If I just leave it running it doesnt seem to be putting sand in.

Last year it did this and I thought I had used the wrong sand in the filter. So I went to the pool store and got the pool filter sand they suggested.

I had lots of trouble trying to vacuum the pool last year. I added the wall mounted Intex skimmer, which for $20. seems to work pretty good. I still keep loosing suction while vacuuming but that seems to be when some leaves/debris get caught in one of the strainers. Once I remove the debris and restart the pump I regain suction to vacuum, but it throws a bunch more sand out.

Not sure where to start to get this properly diagnosed and fixed. My pool does look much better this year.

I just added a 10'X7" deck on one end and I want to get this thing working correctly this year so we can enjoy it more.

Thanks in advance.

Well, I went out after reading a few things and I back washed for 5 minutes before the site glass ran clear. Then I rinsed for for a minute and it ran clear. Switched back to filter and no sand. I started and stopped several times and there may have been a small amount, but nothing like what I was getting.

Now, what would have caused this? too much sand in the filter? I don't think I overfilled it last year, but maybe I did.

Nice deck! How is your pool water? Sparkly?

Sorry, don't know about the sand filter issue.

Please add your add your city, state to your location for future reference. Click SETTINGS upper right and EDIT PROFILE lower left, enter city, state and save it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.