Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Cell Direction???

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Cell Direction???

I was just curious if the cells on a SWG are directions. In other words, does it matter which direction the water flows through the cell.

There was a pool company maintaining the pool prior to us moving in and I noticed the main cord to the cell looked very tight. Well during an inspection and resealing of the o-rings, I turned it around and it appears that it was the way it was originally. Not sure if the directions matters or not. If so, I will just flip it back around.

Thanks everyone!!!
    16,500 Gallon Plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 1 1/2 HP Up-Rated Pump, Pentair Clean n Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, BioGuard Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Cell Direction???

The actual cell itself should not matter, but the flow detector/meter usually does. I didn't see which SWG you have, the specifics for each are usually well known by your friends here!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

3. Back To Top    #3

I noticed after I posted that you have a Hayward type SWG. their manuals can be found here http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/products/manuals.cfm
    I looked at the Aquaplus and found this - "The cell may be mounted vertically or horizontally, and water can move in either direction through the cell.
    Install using the 2" unions provided." on page numbered 9, (12 of 36 in the pdf.) Hope it helps!
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

4. Back To Top    #4

I do see an arrow on the flow meter/temp. sensor for flow direction but did not see anything on the cell stating a flow direction thus what I was asking.

Just for peace of mind, can someone else confirm this as well?

Thanks New2Me!!!
    16,500 Gallon Plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 1 1/2 HP Up-Rated Pump, Pentair Clean n Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, BioGuard Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer

5. Back To Top    #5

Consider it confirmed 8)

I've put in ~100 of these units and, as long as it's properly plumbed in, the cell orientation makes no difference! I'm also certified by Hayward to 'field service' them, so I think you can trust me on this one

I would keep the extra tension off the cord, this will help keep the internal wire coatings from getting damaged - which, in turn, will prevent short circuiting
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Excellent!!! Thank you for the confirmation!!!

Thank you both for your help!! I love being able to post a question/problem and have someone much more knowledgeable than myself help me out!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder if that tension on the wire is what led to your 'goo' issue?

8. Back To Top    #8

Not sure... it was not a ton of tension, but you can see how much in the picture I think. Ever since I lubed the o-rings and turned it around, everything has been looking good. Time will tell though.