A little history...pool came with the house when we bought. It's a 25,000 gal plain old plaster in ground pool. We recently replaced the pump/filter from DE system to a Cartridge system (4 filters/1.5 horse motor). We've never had any problems keeping the pool algae free and in balance until this year. In the past if algae became present, on the recomendation from the pool folks they'd adivse Yellow Out or Green Out with shock. It always cleared up.
Well this year for past 1 1/2 months, we've been struggling to get rid of the algae and get in balance. I've spent well over $500.00 in chemicals...to no avail. I'm at my wits end and now refuse to listed to anything the pool people tell me. It finally came to a head this past weekend. Upon returning, the pool was covered in green algae all over the walls of the pool, hovever the water was crystal clear. On the pool stores advice, they told me to shock the pool with 6 bags of shock (tricholor based) and I can't remember the brand (I also shocked the pool on friday with the same shock). I also brushed down all the sides of the pool. Tuesday morning the pool looks worse than it did Monday. No more pool store advice!
Following some other things i've read, I shocked the pool Tuesday night with 7 gallons of plain old regular strength Clorox. I brought the pool store a sample to be tested this morning and here are the results:
FAC = 4
PH = 7.2
TA = 110
Calcium Hardness = 400
CYA = 100
TDS = 950
Am I on the right track?
Also, can anyone suggest a good test kit to buy...I want rid my self of having to travel to the pool store!!!