Replacing a light

yetis

Apr 19, 2015
Sag Harbor, NY
So I have legacy pool. So far, I have replaced the pump, controller and much of the piping. Now the wife is on me about the pool light not working. The power is there and it doesn't surprise me that the light doesn't work. Before I start messing with it. Are there pool lights that require draining the pool. Sounds absurd, but if it was cheaper, this guy went that way. Also, any horror stories of holes forming around light fixtures such that when I start messing with this, it somehow sets off something more concerning? I imagine the light fixture is 10 years old, give or take. How long do pool liners last? I know its not a LED light (given the age). Are there issues with me taking the bulb out and not replacing immediately, as I will need to source a replacement, once I determine what sort of bulb it is.

Thank you

I am watching your thread yetis. I just bought a house with a pool and the light is completely missing. Just a hole there. I need to investigate if there is any wire shoved in the hole or not. I will be interested to see what you find out.

TURN POWER TO LIGHT OFF AT BREAKER PANEL BEFORE SERVICING ANY ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT OR LIGHTS FOR YOUR POOL. PLACE A PIECE OF TAPE OVER BREAKER SWITCH OR PANEL DOOR ALERTING OTHERS THAT SOMEONE IS CURRENTLY SERVICING THE POOL LIGHT!

To replace or change the pool light in most pools...one just has to unscrew the current fixture from the wall (can be one-three screws...if it has been changed before, you will often find one or more screws missing as it can be tricky to get them back where they belong). Some have one screw that doesn't actually get removed...just loosened and it will release...my last pool should have had 3 screws holding the light in place, but only had two when I changed the light...and I never had an issue with it. The entire fixture will then be able to be lifted out of the hole and laid on the edge of your pool. It will be obvious how to remove the lense cover.

Simply unscrew the current light & screw the replacement into the socket. I have now replaced two different traditional pool lights with LED floodlights that fit into the same socket. You won't get the advantages of the newer "color changing" LED's, but you will have a light that won't need to be replaced again in your lifetime.

NOTE: while you have the fixture opened, it is a good idea to replace the O-ring that seals out water from the fixture. Even if it has no signs of failure, relplacing offers you peace of mind that your fixture is safe and the light won't have to be replaced again soon. Take it with you to the supply place so you get the right size.

And the fixture can be out of the water for as long as you need. Just be sure the power is turned off at the breaker before removing it and while it is out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.