What is this thing called?

gilbee

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
Harvey, LA
The plaster crew is coming today to spray the pool, and since the pool is empty and prepped, I am taking the opportunity to replace all of the jet nozzles and removable fittings with brand new stuff (the previous owner let the water balance go out of hand and stained a lot of the plumbing). I've got everything else, but I can't figure out what this item is called so I can get one. It sits about a foot and a half below the skimmer, and seems to have some light suction to it. I was told by one of the service crews that it is for if the water level gets below the skimmer to stop the pump from sucking air...

Here are pics:
fd857e7e76f47d1eaee3713e7954a4b8.jpg

ad788a4ca5e7ba98f81b687e3089b396.jpg

1abfca660e08fd5cc6f977a017a112eb.jpg

7bee6e280fa3aec0c9c0ad4ae849e1e1.jpg

Since it is below the skimmer, I am going to guess that is an equalizer line running to the skimmer. And that is just a grate to keep large objects from being sucked in ... although water should never really be sucked in through that hole unless you let the water level drop way too much.

You really do not need to have anything there IMO.

Adjust the float diverter under the skimmer basket so you do not have a lot (if any) suction through there.

Sorry, I guess I'm not being clear...I want to replace this item, and want to know what the fitting is called, so I can order one. I googled for pool grate, and didn't find anything like it. There are two in the pool, and one is broken (demo crew accidentally busted it while removing the plaster).

I have no idea what you would call that. First time I have ever seen one ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, took me 5 seconds to find one:
http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/AquaStar15SafetyGrateInsertwith15MPTDarkGrayCFM105/141118p1

It says that because it is not designed to prevent entrapment.

But as I previously stated, there should not be any suction through this line unless you have a problem which should be pretty apparent based on the water level. Usually there is no cover at all on these equalizer lines.

I originally thought these were dedicated vacuum ports, but when I put a hand down there, there was so little suction that it was hard to tell if any was there at all...so I think they're fine. This is more an exercise is aesthetics here. Thanks Jason!

Make sure the flap on the float diverter under the skimmer basket is completely open so that nearly all the flow is through the skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, looks like there are a lot of colors available, so you can match what ever you want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.