TF-100 test kit

Bern

May 19, 2014
Hampton Falls, NH
Hi,
Thinking about investing in one of these because it seems more accurate to count drops and multiply than to match shades of color. Perhaps it's just my eyes but I've been using test strips and a simple test from Leslie's (18-5540) and been very frustrated. It seems to me these methods are much too subjective. Am I right that the TF-100 is more accurate? Also, are all of the tests done using a calculation rather than guessing at a shade of color?

Many thanks for your advice,

Bern

Not all of the measurements. pH is still a color comparison. The kit includes two chlorine tests, one of which is a color comparison and another that is a count and calculate test.

You have experienced why we don't even typically offer advice based off of either test strip or pool store test results. There are 2 tests in the TF-100 that require color comparing. The OTO chlorine test is difficult to read but really only needs to be used as a "yep, there is chlorine" test. The FAS/DPD test is where the actual FC and CC testing is done. The pH test is color match, but it is not too difficult. You get a pretty good feel for it after a while. The test most people find difficult is the CYA one, which takes some getting used to but is about the best you can get for residential use. It is still leaps and bounds ahead of the test strip method.

It really is an investment and I can tell you has saved me much more than the initial cost. This whole site really has made me a bit of a pool care addict and the TF-100 is like my hooka :p

:goodjob: on the TF-100! Definitely get the speed stir so you look like a rocket scientist (actually makes the job MUCH easier), and also consider getting the XL addition for extra FC testing. It's all a great value that pays for itself many times over. Welcome!

Many, many thanks to all of you for responding. I'm going to order the TF-100 today. If I order it through TFP will you folks get some credit or commission? If so, I'd rather buy from you than from Amazon. I'm really looking forward to getting accurate numbers before I put anything else in my pool.

Thanks again,

Bern

Thanks, for the tips. I agree getting the speed stir will make testing easier, I remember using similar devices in freshman chemistry many years ago. Never got the math right but had fun with all the gadgets. My other hobby is woodworking so my wife is convinced I'm ordering this just because it has a motor - that woman knows me pretty well!

Thanks again,
Bern

Many, many thanks to all of you for responding. I'm going to order the TF-100 today. If I order it through TFP will you folks get some credit or commission? If so, I'd rather buy from you than from Amazon. I'm really looking forward to getting accurate numbers before I put anything else in my pool.

Thanks again,

Bern
You have to order the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Amazon does not have it and will redirect you to their standard pool test kits.

TFP is supported by tftestkits, so yes in a way we get credit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Members of the forum don't get commission, but I recommend buying from TFTestkits. Super fast shipping, and they support the site.

My kit is going on it's third year and I've only had to re-up on a few chemicals. I'd order the XL option, doubles your chlorine tests. Also grab an extra bottle of reagent R-13, the CYA test. You'll run out of that first and the shipping for just that isn't worth buying alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.