In The Industry
May 31, 2015
Milford, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our new AGP is installed and hose is on! We are using the pool frog leap system and was hoping for any advice on a smooth pool opening.

Thank You Kindly! Your all so helpful here.

;);)

The first advice I would give is not to use the frog. Replacement cartridges are too expensive and they are adding metals to you r water you really don't want in the water. Their "system" is a better sales system than it is pool maintenance system.

As soon as practicable, strangle Froggie and get him out of the pool. TFP really does not like metals in any form in your pool and TFP hates unnecessary expense.....Froggie does both.

Former frog owner here, emphasis on the former. I'm just going to run down the list of reasons I don't like it and let you make your own decision.

1. Mineral pac costs $100 a season
2. Mineral pac adds copper to your pool, potentially causing staining and green hair
3. Bac pac costs $20 for about $7 worth of trichlor tabs
4. Bac pac adds CYA to water potentially causing overstabilization
5. BAM algaecide adds additional copper because apparently the hundred dollar mineral pac isn't enough?

In contrast, since removing the frog and switching to the TFPC method I pay about a dollar a day for chlorine and $40 every 2-3 years on my TF-100 refills. A few dollars a month for muriatic acid to lower pH, but I always needed that. My water looks and feels incredible despite containing 10 times the FC recommended by the frog. No smell, no cloudiness, virtually no problems.

But that is just my experience.

Former frog owner here, emphasis on the former. I'm just going to run down the list of reasons I don't like it and let you make your own decision.

1. Mineral pac costs $100 a season
2. Mineral pac adds copper to your pool, potentially causing staining and green hair
3. Bac pac costs $20 for about $7 worth of trichlor tabs
4. Bac pac adds CYA to water potentially causing overstabilization
5. BAM algaecide adds additional copper because apparently the hundred dollar mineral pac isn't enough?

In contrast, since removing the frog and switching to the TFPC method I pay about a dollar a day for chlorine and $40 every 2-3 years on my TF-100 refills. A few dollars a month for muriatic acid to lower pH, but I always needed that. My water looks and feels incredible despite containing 10 times the FC recommended by the frog. No smell, no cloudiness, virtually no problems.

But that is just my experience.

Thank You all again for helping me! I am going to return my frog pac. Thinking of salt water though. I have many friends that absolutely love their salt water generators. I know there is another thread here just on salt water. Going there now.

Biggest thing is I need to have pool up and running by Monday for swim lessons. A man at our local pool supply here suggested I put a few chlorine tabs in skimmer until I figure out what type of system I will use.

Biggest thing is I need to have pool up and running by Monday for swim lessons. A man at our local pool supply here suggested I put a few chlorine tabs in skimmer until I figure out what type of system I will use.
See, that is why we don't trust pool store advice. Tabs in skimmers are not a good idea. While the pump is running all is OK, but when the pump shuts off the tab just sits there slowly melting. The water around it in the skimmer becomes super-chlorinated which is very bad for the plastic skimmer parts and when the pump turns on that blast of super-chlorinated water then goes into your pump and filter. It's not good for them either.

Look at my links above. Until you get a SWG which we love, liquid chlorine is the way to go. But, you need to get some stabilizer in the water. You can get everything you need at WalMart.

tim5055 said:
The water around it in the skimmer becomes super-chlorinated which is very bad for the plastic skimmer parts and when the pump turns on that blast of super-chlorinated water then goes into your pump and filter.
A related note...Even if you use tabs all the time with an in-line chlorinator, it can have a similar effect on a spa's check valve (i.e., backflow-prevention valve). Depending on the pool's plumbing setup, if the check valve is close to and downstream from the chlorinator, super-chlorinated water can accumulate in the check valve and damage the seals. One day you could wake up and wonder why the spa level dropped a foot overnight.

A related note...Even if you use tabs all the time with an in-line chlorinator, it can have a similar effect on a spa's check valve (i.e., backflow-prevention valve). Depending on the pool's plumbing setup, if the check valve is close to and downstream from the chlorinator, super-chlorinated water can accumulate in the check valve and damage the seals. One day you could wake up and wonder why the spa level dropped a foot overnight.

Awesome! Great info here. I am reading everything now. Saved me a bunch of money as I was getting ready to purchase a chlorinator and all of the stuff at the store.

By the way...do I still need a chlorinator? I have not read that part yet. I have a 21x43 oval pool that holds 24,000 gallons of water.

See, that is why we don't trust pool store advice. Tabs in skimmers are not a good idea. While the pump is running all is OK, but when the pump shuts off the tab just sits there slowly melting. The water around it in the skimmer becomes super-chlorinated which is very bad for the plastic skimmer parts and when the pump turns on that blast of super-chlorinated water then goes into your pump and filter. It's not good for them either.

Look at my links above. Until you get a SWG which we love, liquid chlorine is the way to go. But, you need to get some stabilizer in the water. You can get everything you need at WalMart.

I've heard we can't have an SWG because we have a metal pool. Not sure how true this is as we have friends who have used SWG for 3 years without any issues. What do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You may void the pool warranty, but we have MANY members that use a SWG with a metal AG pool with no issues.

You do not need a chlorinator for anything. If you do not have one, do not buy one. You can always use a floater if you want to use some tablets to raise the CYA or for vacation, etc.

Awesome! As I fill is there anything I can do to start chemicals? I will get my test kit tomorrow. I was a lifeguard and aquatic director for years so I do know how to use one, we just never paid any attention to CYA. As long as FC and PH were good we didn't do much else. I am not sure how much water is in the pool but I thought maybe I could pour some bleach in right by the hose for some circulation but I'm just not sure how much to dump at this point. We have about 10 inches in right now.

I'd put a couple of cups of bleach in while you are filling.

Don't just buy any kit, order the best there is online

TFTestkits.net

Swing by WalMart and pick up a bottle of CYA/stabilizer as you will need that also. I think the last time I was there they had the "My Salt Pool" brand. Don't worry about the name, look at the contents, should be like 99% CYA.

I was going to get the one recommended that Leslie's carries. Is that one still ok. I can't remember the name, I need to go back and find the thread.

I'll get the CYA and add 2 cups. Thank You all so so much!

Leslie's generally does NOT stock any of the recommended kits. They will tell you they are the same, but generally they are not. You would be looking for a K2006- FAS/DPD test kit. They usually stock a DPD test kit which is not the same.

If you get the k-2006 from Leslies then make sure of two things:
1. It really is the k-2006 and NOT the k-2005. They may tell you it is the same thing, it is not. You need one with the FAS-DPD test, not just a DPD test. Despite the name they are very different tests.
2. Make sure it hasn't been sitting around for years. Reagents last a while but do go bad after a few years.

Personally I prefer the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. The reagents are guaranteed fresh and the kit has more reagents for the tests you will use more. It is the same tests as the k-2006, just optimized for residential use. Also the owner of that happens to also own the site, but I do not get a kickback for recommending the kit. I just really like it. Whichever of the two you have you will have in your hands what you need to make sure you never have an algae issue or any type of "chlorine sensitivity" issues. If you follow the TFPC methods taught here that is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.