Ky-Vette

Jun 4, 2015
Deltona/Florida
I recently took back control of my pool, relieved my 'pool guy' of his duties, and think I can maintain my pool as well or better than he did. I spend several weeks / months (about three) away from my pool so I thought I need someone to take care of my pool when I was away. WRONG as my neighbors pointed out, my pool guy wasn't being as honest as he told me he was being. I put up a couple of game cameras from my deer hunting trips just to see how well he was maintaining my pool. Over a three week period he was at my pool once, then just to add a few tabs to my floater nothing more :confused:. No vacuuming no water test, notta. So I bought a robot, contacted some of my neighbors and friends, now my pool is vacuumed regularly, chemicals checked and looks great on regular basis.
I maintained a pool for a previous employer, for several years, a totally enclosed pool, no direct sun, heated to 92°, a real pain to keep balanced. I have already purchased a complete pool test kit, and been reading the pool school, post and other information on this site for a couple of years. Finally decided to jump in and become a participant rather than just a skimmer !

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

It's winderful that you are taking control! I would only ask, what "complete pool test kit" did you purchase? To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the recommended list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Welcome to the forum. :wave: Managing your own pool water is both self-satisfying and very educational. We'll help as much as you need it but sounds like you are well on your way already.

Good for you Ky-Vette! Your gut (and video surveillance) prevailed. Shame it came to that huh? But now you know and are in the right place with lots of experts to help if/when you need it. You mentioned you got a test kit. Curious, which one did you get? Also, when you get a moment, please consider modifying your profile to include your pool information/equipment in your "signature". Easy to do and may come-in handy later so you don't have to re-explain what you have. Welcome aboard! :)