A new pool owner

Jun 4, 2015
Orlando
Just moved into an estate sale home (family of decedent out of state). No one around to ask basic questions, so I'm glad I've found you guys. I have a really stupid question and don't know where to post it, how do you turn on the (in ground) pool & spa? Or maybe you don't turn it on? Never had a pool before.

Welcome! :wave:

Odds are, somewhere near the pump and filter there will be a timer box. There are pictures in the Visual Encyclopedia that will help you identify what all you have.

If you're completely clueless, it might be worth the money to hire a pool service to come show you what is what and help you figure out which valve goes to what and all that.

Hello Sunnyday, and welcome to TFP! :wave: We have lots of advice in this forum and hope to assist you in any way possible. Some things we suggest right away:
- If you haven't do so already, obtain the proper test kit (see my TF-100 link below) - absolutely critical! Do not rely on strips or the pool store.
- Don't put anything in your pool right now until you have one of those recommended kits (other than perhaps regular liquid bleach to keep algae at bay)
- Please check-out the various links below as they serve as the foundation to educate you on the basic of what you need to know
- Please modify your profile to include a "signature" with all of your pool info and equip. That will help us to address your areas of concern.

We hope to help you enjoy a great pool season! Welcome!

Welcome to TFP! FWIW, when I first moved into our current house (with my first pool) I hired a pool guy for a one hour consulting session. Was very well worth it to learn about the equipment and how to operate it properly along with a few key do's and don'ts.