Sand filter pressure goes high shortly after backwash

Jun 4, 2015
Merrick, NY
Hi All,
Having a rough time this season so far. Pool was opened and proper chemicals added, NOT VACCUUMED (lots of leaves on floor). Water got clear in hours. Heater turned on. Two days later the heater somehow caught fire and whole front-end melted - landscaper saw the fire and extinguished. Doesn't seem like it was a gas fire. While heater shopping, I didn't bother with chemicals or vaccuuming - water went very cloudy and light green. New heater installed and chemicals brought back up to par, confirmed via water test performed by Leslie's. Water got clear but stayed HIGHLY cloudy. Shock added, no clearing of cloudiness. Filter runniing about 24 so backwashed and it came down to about 16 and Returns pressure was restored. One day later, still highly cloudy. Pressure went back to mid-20's so I backwashed again. Again, down to 16. Clarifier added - no luck. DE added - no luck. Still very cloudy. I'm now playing yo-yo games with the filter.... it goes up to mid 20's, I backwash, it goes down to about 16, then it goes back up few hours later.
Does this yo-yo'ing of the pressure mean it's time to replace sand? That's the only thing I can think of. Originally I thought maybe the fire's soot was being pushed into the pool, but now even with the new heater, same thing.
All help will be appreciated tremendously... very frustrated at this point.
Thanks!

Inground pool, chlorine, approx 12k gallons, sand filter, hayward ng heater: new, 2 skimmer baskets, no main drain, hayward superpump: new last season

Welcome to TFP!

The rising pressure shows your filter is doing its job. Seems like a bit of a short cycle though. Are you backwashing for at least 3 minutes? If not, try that and see if the filter runs longer before needing backwashing again.

X2 on the filter doing its' job.

Sounds like you have algae, it is getting killed and filtered out.

I may as well be the one to say it ..... in order for us to help we really need you to post a full set of test results from a reliable test kit (not Leslies results). Get a kit, post the results and get ready to go swimming!

Thank you for your reply… And a few of the times that I back washed, it was not for a full three minutes, but other times it was actually more than that for the glass jar showed clear water. After backwashing for about four minutes, I rinsed for four minutes as well.

Hi… Is there a specific test you can recommend? I thought Leslie's was a pretty thorough test.
Pool Store testing is simply not accurate or dependable. We advocate your own testing because no one will take care of your pool as well as you do. Leslie's goal is to sell you something each time and our goal is to teach you something each time.

You can read the hundreds of stories here about pool store testing and the amazing successes people have when they take charge of managing their own pool water.....it is eye opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.