Pool buyer beware

Jun 3, 2015
Phoenix Arizona
Well, just joined the site. Reluctantly I might add. I am a electrical communications guy and I tried to stay away from plumbing...but find myself pulled into the pool maintenance man on one pool, mine.
9 years ago, bought a pool. Since then it has earned the single worst purchase of my life.

Don't want to go into all the rants and ravings of a lunatic but here to see if I can learn a thing or two so I can fix my own pool issues.
so when you see some stupid questions on here from Alarmman just know its by necessity that I endeavor to peruse the pages to learn something rather than be swindled.

Thanks,
Alarmman.

Welcome to tfp! There are no stupid questions, just things you haven't learned yet. Read through pool school enough times that it makes sense, get one of the recommended test kits, and you'll change your mind about your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. You may be surprised to learn that it takes most of us just a few minutes a day to keep our pools nearly perfect. I rarely spend an hour a week on my pool.

Being an electrical guy, you'll understand what it would be like trying to troubleshoot problems without a multimeter or other equipment. The same goes for troubleshooting your water without a good test kit. Once you have a good kit and a little knowledge, pool care is trivial.

Poor, poor alarmman. He has been to the money sucking pool store :(

BUT never fear! TFP is here to save his day and wallet!

Welcome! We can and will help you love your pool!

Please see me siggy for the test kits. THAT alone will be the best thing you ever bought for your pool and will save you SO much money and time!

Kim

Hi Alarmman,

Unfortunately there are a lot of unscrupulous and ill qualified folks in the pool biz.

Know that here at TFP, no one will try to sell you anything. We are just here to help teach people how to take care of their pools using easy to understand methods.

As JohnT's excellent analogy, it impossible to troubleshoot without the right tools. So to this end, you will need a good reliable test kit. Only 2 kits on the market are adequate enough to properly take care of all of your pools needs. The Taylor K2006 available at lots of places online, and the TF100. (see link in my sig for that website).

Any plumbing problems? Ask and you will get lots of good replies
Any equipmet questions? Just ask
Want to learn details of chemistry? Thats here too

Hang around, read a few posts and let us know what we can help with. We'll be glad to.

A pool can be a very enjoyable experience, if you just know how, and then you can stop being swindled and getting bad advice from the 'pool pros'.

I endeavor to peruse the pages to learn something rather than be swindled.

Thanks,
Alarmman.

Well, just joined the site. Reluctantly I might add. I am a electrical communications guy and I tried to stay away from plumbing...but find myself pulled into the pool maintenance man on one pool, mine.
9 years ago, bought a pool. Since then it has earned the single worst purchase of my life.

Don't want to go into all the rants and ravings of a lunatic but here to see if I can learn a thing or two so I can fix my own pool issues.
so when you see some stupid questions on here from Alarmman just know its by necessity that I endeavor to peruse the pages to learn something rather than be swindled.

Thanks,
Alarmman.

sounds to me like you have been going to the pool store and been pounded with constant purchases of stuff you don't need.

the good news? it can be fixed and it will be cheap moving forward.

the bad news? if you have been using chlorine pucks in your pool for a long time you most likely have built up huge amounts of stabilizer, its a very common issue to people coming over to TFT. the only cure for that is draining and refilling, but you wont know how much until you buy one of the recommended test kits. the test kit is the only thing that will be pushed here. after that, you are only going to need to basically buy chlorine/bleach to maintain your pool. if you have any test results from the pool store, do yourself a favor and throw them in the trash can

welcome aboard.

the toughest thing is going to be unlearning all the nonsense the pool store/service has been telling you all this time. they don't make profit selling bleach/chlorine, that's why they push all the other nonsense.

Just here to say Hi :wave:

All the other folks have posted exactly what I would have said. I totally get the "I hate this lousy pool!!" feeling. You purchased something that is costing you a ton of money and it just seems like one problem after another.

Welp, if you read up on all the info here (it's free) and follow all the advice given (that's free too) and use basic test and chemical adjustment procedures (those you do have to buy but they're cheap relative to the junk the pool stores sell), you will have a trouble free pool in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.