Newbie just getting started

Sunnyd

Jun 3, 2015
Fargo, ND
Hi everyone. I am totally new I on this. Just got done filling AGP 18' x 48" and wondering what to do next. Do I need to have my water tested before I add anything at all? So far I have it filled with water and the pump hooked up and running.
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

You will need one of the Recommended Test Kits to properly manage your pool. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. If you want to really do the right thing, I would order one of these test kits tonight. Do not rely on pool store testing - it is notably inaccurate and they will use those results to sell you all sorts of chemicals you do not need that will cost you way more than this test kit.

We generally recommend adjusting pH first followed by chlorine and CYA (a.k.a, stabilizer). But we need test results from a trusted kit in order to tell you how much of what to add for your pool. However, until you get your test kit, I would add 2 ppm chlorine (FC) to keep from getting an algae outbreak. NOTE: This is not a long-term recommendation - it's just to tide you over until the test kit arrives. Assuming your pool is 18'x48" round, you will need to add 23 oz of 8.25% liquid bleach to get 2 ppm FC.

While you are waiting for your kit to arrive, here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
  1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
  2. Chlorine CYA Chart
  3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
  4. Recommended Levels
  5. Pool Math

Suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different.
Here's how to do this: Adding pool info to your signature.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You need a complete set of test results for us to advise you correctly. You can take a sample to a pool store for now, but to take control of your pool you need to invest in a high quality FAS/DPD based test kit, such as a Taylor K2006 or the TF 100 . Since it is a fresh fill we know you will need CYA and Chlorine. You can buy CYA also known as stabilizer or conditioner at pool stores, Walmarts and some hardware stores. For chlorine we recommend plain, unscented liquid bleach from the grocery store. Pour a 64 ounce jug into the pool slowly in front of a return with the pump running and let it circulate. Use PoolMath to determine how much CYA you need for your pool. Put the CYA in a clean white sock and hang it in front of the return with the pump running. Give it a few good squeezes every now and then to help it dissolve more quickly.

Welcome! :wave:

Yeah, you need some test results to get things dialed in. Just go ahead and add the 23 oz of plain unscented clorox every day. Until you get some stabilizer in there, the sun will get it all, so you don't need to worry about it getting overloaded.

And if there are whiny kids, they can get in. They bathe in the same stuff, right? But without knowing the pH, swimming underwater might get rough on the eyes. pH does tend to climb over time with aeration (splashing) The sooner you get a test kit, the better.

Ok. I have regular Clorox here at home. I can just use this right? I know zea3 mentions CYA. I do have some stabilizer. My wife bought this pool from our new neighbors and they gave us all the chemicals they were using. Should I put some of that in since I have it? Also how long do I let the pool circulate? Or can I use the timer on the pump?

thanks everyone!

Ok. I have regular Clorox here at home. I can just use this right? I know zea3 mentions CYA. I do have some stabilizer. My wife bought this pool from our new neighbors and they gave us all the chemicals they were using. Should I put some of that in since I have it? Also how long do I let the pool circulate? Or can I use the timer on the pump?

thanks everyone!
Yep, plain clorox is the stuff. None of the fancy ones that say germicidal or outdoor or splashless or whatever.

Read the label on the stabilizer. If it says 99% cyanuric acid or better, that's the right stuff.

You'd probably do well to study pool school a bit. Start with the ABCs, so you understand what we're talking about a little. Then Recommended Pool Chemicals. That will help you decide which of those freebies are useful to you. It also tells you how to add each one. Poolmath will tell you how to figure out how much. Most important is that you get a test kit, because without one, you're working blind or at the mercy of the pool store. And they don't offer free tests out of goodness - their business is to sell you chemicals. You can read Test Kits Compared or just skip it and head off to tftestkits.net.

Thanks Richard320. How much of the stabilizer?
You'll have to figure that out yourself :twisted:

Having someone tell you what to dump in is the pool store method. But I'll help you out a little. Tap water will have zero CYA in it. 40 is a good target, just in case your pool isn't as big as you think it is. If you come up low when you test it in a week, it's easy to add more. (There's that testing again! ;) ) The links I posted will tell you how to use poolmath and how to add the CYA. There is other stuff in there you need to know, too, and I've typed enough already. See if you can't figure it out and if you want someone to check your answer, post it. Someone will be along soon. No reason to rush out tonight and add the CYA anyway, since there's no sun right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.