Poolside Reference Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2008
Terre Haute, IN
As a Newbie I have printed out a bunch of stuff from this site and others and was always rummaging through trying to find what a specific chemical attribute does, what value am I suppose to be at for my pool, and how much to add to take things up/down. I also was always referencing the CYA/FC charts, my pool equipment list, and what impact of certain chemicals I had on hand would impact other levels for my balance.

I have summed it all up in a one page sheet as my Cliff Notes if you will...I only need this one page now for all my needs. I made it flexible enough so others can use it by just putting in their pool gallons and it does the math for them. This uses the core BBB chemicals as a starter. You could modify it for your needs if you are using other chemicals for adjustments and get the data from the Pool Calculator.

I have made this quick reference guide utilizing TFP and BBB principles to keep poolside. I got permission from Pool Calculator and help for validity from ChemGeek...He warned the values in PH would only be close because current PH level, Borate and ALk levels, etc must also be taken into account.

Edit: Certainly for more info you can goto Pool School and within there you will find the Pool Calculator for more detailed info on relationships. My goal was to make a basic cheat sheet others could use poolside. I find it handy for my needs and thought others may have a similar need. Thats why I took the extra time to make it flexible and post for others.

Just enter in your number of gallons. ENJOY. :)

Attachments

• PoolSide Ref Guide.xls
    28 KB · Views: 125
I believe the idea behind this is to have a quick reference chart you can post out by the pool. Jason's calculator is great, but you need a computer to use it. Of course, in practice one doesn't change most of the parameters very often. It's mostly chlorine addition and periodic pH adjustment that are the most common. Unfortunately, pH adjustment can be tricky as was noted.

chem geek said:
I believe the idea behind this is to have a quick reference chart you can post out by the pool. Jason's calculator is great, but you need a computer to use it. Of course, in practice one doesn't change most of the parameters very often. It's mostly chlorine addition and periodic pH adjustment that are the most common. Unfortunately, pH adjustment can be tricky as was noted.

Yep, I get it. That's why I said it was more comprehensive. I'd hate for a newbie to miss out on The Pool Calculator. :wink:

I took the time to develop my rough version for me to a fancy and flexible one for the forum. I delivered my goal of a concise and precise tool that forum members or guests didn't need multiple pages or a computer for pool balancing. Donated a free template so they could even easily modify it if they wanted for their specific needs.

I am not trying to start a problem here but I worked hard on the concept of this and even got help from others to make sure it was as accurate as possible. Yes, if you want more information beyond this cliff notes version please see pool school (the pool calc is linked in there). I even gave credit to others and did specifically mention the pool calculator. I would appreciate traffic not being baited to go elsewhere for data.

I have been putting together a bunch of other stuff for posts from my data mining but now I am hesitant to put anymore energy into them. That may of not been the intent of the comment, but the mind trigger was created that it was not comprehensive. It is what I promised, an accurate high level cliff notes version.

Actually, I think it's a handy tool. It gives you a customized dosing chart for the size of YOUR pool! Once you plug in the volume of your pool you just print it out and keep it by the pool. My only caution would be the pH tests. The amounts given are basically the same as I would recommend but then I recommend testing about 30 minutes or so later and if the pH is not correct to make further adjustments.

SeanB is right that it in no way replaces the pool calculator but this can be a handy tool if you want to make a quick rough adjustment to your water.

investindy said:
I have been putting together a bunch of other stuff for posts from my data mining but now I am hesitant to put anymore energy into them. That may of not been the intent of the comment, but the mind trigger was created that it was not comprehensive. It is what I promised, an accurate high level cliff notes version.
I think you are being a bit 'thin skinned' here, investindy. You yourself say it's a 'cliff note' version so it is NOT comprehensive. That is all SeanB was pointing out! If you are looking for praise for your work to stroke your ego then perhaps you should not "put more enery into them" as you said but if you are looking to share what you have done and possibly be willing to have it critiqued so it can be made better then by all means please continue to share with us. We do recommend the Pool Calculator here, it's one of our main tools and while your little dosing chart can be a useful adjunct it really is not a needed addition. As far as dosing charts go there are many of them out there. I personally prefer the ones from OnBalance.
http://www.poolhelp.com/SimplifiedDosageFormulas.pdf
http://www.poolhelp.com/SimplifiedFormulaNumbers.pdf

They are concise, easy to use with just a calculator, and very comprehensive. I use these at work all the time, btw!

Maybe I am sensitive, As a new person who is constantly trying to absorb knowledge on TFP I was trying to make it easier for the next person. Whenever I see a post that quickly steers me elsewhere I always click on it and go that direction. Perhaps thats only me but thats my pattern for surfing and the authority or knowledge of the individual who responds highly plays into that. I have high respect for the moderators and special contributors so when I'm scanning what I want to read I always take their advice/direction first. This is especially true for me anytime I see a post from waterbear, chemgeek, jasonlion, and mas985.

Not trying to get a stroke of ego, even if it came off that way. Just sincerely wanted to know if I could help others with this data and if they did or did not like it. May never be known with the steering of others elsewhere (IMHO).

Personally I thought a mini series of 1 page printable summaries of core areas in Pool School would be awesome. Sort of a deviation or adder to perhaps the newsletter themes. Would give people the core data to reference and if they need more details goto Pool School, Calc, Testkits, etc. I realize detailed data is already all throughout TFP. Was trying to condense it for those data mining like myself. My initial topics considered:

Pool Balance (aka poolside reference)
Test Logging (in process)
Pump sizing
Filter Info and costs
Weighing out cost of pool chemicals for adjustments.
Side by Side Pool Robots

Your chart is handy and I was only making users aware of other tools - nothing personal so no need to be offended.

Your suggestions are interesting but not practical and not really necessary. One of the most important stipulations I made to the authors of the of the Pool School articles, was that the articles be as concise as possible, limited to one page as much as possible.

So suggesting 1 page printable summaries of mostly 1 page articles is kind of pointless, and would add a lot of work, with little potential benefit. If you have ideas for new articles, please send them to me via pm and I'll consider them.

You've not been around very long so you are probably unaware but this site has developed to it's current state because of a lot of feedback from members just like yourself. I have asked for and received a great deal of input and many features have evolved from that input. I say this so you know I'm not dismissing your ideas out of hand. We are always looking to improve when needed and feasible, but sometimes it's good to be happy with what you have. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.