TomKOK

TomK

Platinum Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Hampton, South Carolina
Hey all,

As a teen (during the seventies), I was forced to maintain a public pool. The daily vacuuming, skimming, testing and chemical addition was, to say the least, not my favorite part of my adolescence. Anyhow, my wife and I are now retired, and have moved into a beautiful house of her choosing. Unfortunately, it has a big water filled rectangular pit in the back yard. I was overruled when suggesting that we fill it in and plant a vegetable garden...

Soooo, when we uncovered it this spring, we found that the vinyl liner had been destroyed by the kids of the previous owner. We had the liner replaced, filled it (with water, and 'local pool store' suggested salt and chemicals). Now I've found myself a not so proud owner and maintainer of a backyard money-pit.

I have found that things seem alot different from when I was a kid, so I found your website and am hoping the information and help I find from the members and administrators - will change me from being a money-pit sourpuss:mad:, to a happy pool owner/maintainer:p...

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The pool is only a money pit while you are going to pool stores before finding TFP ;)

Maintaining a pool has not really changed ... the chemistry is the same. But the true information is now readily available. :D

The first step is investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits and posting up the results so we can figure out what needs to be adjusted. I recommend the TF-100 and add the salt test as well to get you free shipping (comes out of Raleigh, so you should get it quick).

How does the water currently look?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Well, we like to think we are very good at keeping pools from draining too much money from our pockets.

My first suggestion is to stay away from pool stores. Their only response to any question is to try to sell you something. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

First, not much credence is given to pool store testing, so don't bother. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

I think you will find your pool a lot easier than what you dealt with as a kid.

Welcome to TFP! Dittos to what the previous responders have already stated. Pool maintenance is much simpler that what many are led to believe. I primarily use only two chemicals to maintain my pool: Chlorine (in the form of plain liquid bleach) and muriatic acid (a.k.a., MA).

Wow:bounce:, a forum that actually responds, and responds in force and at speed...

Thanks for the encouragement, my pool currently is crystal clear with a slightly high salt content, but per my (only) local pool store. They also have advised that the pool is balanced and all tests are 'in the green'.

I plan on getting the platinum membership & the twenty dollar coupon for the TF100 as well as purchasing it with the XL Option. Once I get the kit, I'll be back to posting, till then I'll be browsing the plethora of information on the site...

Thanks again,
TomK

Welcome Tom. You'll love it here, and subsequently learn to love your pool when you follow a method whose only answer isn't a few more c notes. We don't blindly throw chemicals at our pools. We test the levels with an accurate kit and only add what it needs when it needs it. As previously stated, the only thing most people here use is some form of liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. Once everything is lined out, the other levels you test for don't change very rapidly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

and Thank you for your platinum contribution. That money stays within the forum to be spent only on forum matters. We appreciate it.

You'll be hard pressed to find a friendlier bunch or a more knowledgeable bunch about what we all love - POOLS!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've, made the donation, and have read enough on the forum (and your response links [thank-you]), to deduce that I need the additional salt test kit, but probably not the XL kit since my water currently is OK and crystal clear. How will the coupon be 'delivered', & how would I redeem it at TFTestkits.net?

I went to TFTestkits.net, to see about ordering the test kit, but it seemed to redirect me to another domain when I went to set up an account. I sent them an email to see if that was normal. I'll have to wait for a response before ordering.

Thanks,
TomK

Welcome! :wave:

You're really going to like the FAS-SPD chlorine test. Beats the heck out of that card with the dithered colormatching you used as a teen. Look familiar? :mrgreen:
dithering7.gif