Mar 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP pros,

We purchased a house last year that came along with a 24' agp. We were told that the pool was put up in 2012. This is our second season with it and I'm concerned about the pool not being level. We noticed the water line being slightly off last year and thought nothing of it. In fact, if I hadn't stumbled on a few posts regarding the matter I would still be ignorant to the potential dangers of a pool that isn't level. I had just chalked it up to the grading of our yard.

Here is the situation:

The pool is anywhere from 2-3" higher as it meets the deck that surrounds half of the pool. The pool is 48" deep. as you can see in the pictures, the pool is partially buried to match the grade of the yard and to be flush with the deck. The part of the pool that would be considered lowest (with the highest water line) is buried approximately 7" deeper than the highest point. Again, this has worked out to about 3" difference in water level (measure from the top rail to the water) on the opposite side.

So, how concerning is this? I've seen varying opinions that 1-2" is acceptable, and potentially more if it is reinforced on the low side. I see no evidence of bulging and the pool walls all seem straight and sound. I'm not sure if the previous owner installed himself or if a builder did this.

I appreciate any input!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 156
To tell you the truth-------------------That is more than is considered safe for an AGP BUT with it being buried I THINK that it is fine.

To me the biggest concern with a AGP being off level is that the low side will give and cause that wall to give way. I do not THINK that will happen in your case.

Please note I am NO expert and am only expressing MY OPINION based on gut feeling only.

Kim (how is that for CYA LOL)

I should also note that the change in level is gradual as it goes towards the deck. There is not a single post that has clearly sunk or anything like that. It just appears to have been built this way.

Just because it was "built like that" sure doesn't make it right. If it is partially buried, how can you tell that not a single post has sunk? Drainage and grade may have washed out underneath one side of it. 1" out of level or so is max acceptable level. I just don't know if partial burying will be enough to overcome that.

I certainly wasn't implying that it was right, just stating that it appears to have been this way since it was installed. I guess I need to call a builder to see what it takes to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have the time to don't myself, or I would give it a go (plus I've never installed one of these things, wouldn't know where to begin).

I think that the pool is safe. When you are using the pool you make big waves which cause more stress than the water level being off by 2-3" . You can tell that the pool installer wasn't very good because he left the pool wall seam out in the open. It should be behind an upright.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.