FC test seems to be meaningless, I'm about to drown myself!

midijamm

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2015
Marathon fl
I have been having what seemed like testing inaccuracies for some time now. I figured maybe my methodology is wrong, maybe my measuring is inconsistent, maybe my reagents are bad……

So I got a speed stir and a sample sizer and new reagents from TFTest Kits and every test gives a different result.
I thought I must be doing it wrong so I read everything I can find on here and slowed down my drops as well as getting full drops that hang before dropping and being sure the DPD powder is in adequate amounts, etc.

I got 28 drops, 24 drops 32 drops……:rant:

This is crazy. My head is about to explode. Someone PLEASE tell me what stupid mistake I am making! I would love to be humiliated by my own stupidity, just let me get this testing right!

take one big measuring cup's worth of water out of the pool, mix that up real good in the measuring cup, then do a couple back to back tests with that. It's possible the chemicals in your pool aren't mixed well enough, and every time you dip the thing in the pool you're hitting a different patch of water.

Are you using a 10ml water sample?
Are you holding the bottle vertically?

A variation of 8 drops sure does seem excessive.

That's Yes, and Yes

To begin with I was dropping fast. That's when I get 24 drops. Slowed down, measured DPD powder generously, got full hanging drops, and tried to be completely consistent…two tests in a row and got 28 and 32

- - - Updated - - -

take one big measuring cup's worth of water out of the pool, mix that up real good in the measuring cup, then do a couple back to back tests with that. It's possible the chemicals in your pool aren't mixed well enough, and every time you dip the thing in the pool you're hitting a different patch of water.

gonna try that now but the pump has been running all day

The cup/container you are getting the water with...is it used ONLY for getting water out of the pool?

I was not thinking one day and used the cup I put my chlorine in the pool with to take water out of the pool to test. DUH I wonder why my FC was off the charts! LOL

Just throwing that out there.

Kim

OK, here are 6 tests from the same cup. Seems to indicate that the minutest variation can skew the test wildly! As I have been going I am trying to be consistent in all aspects and letting each drop fall off of it's own weight. This seems to be the solution.

In my experience with drop based tests, the higher the number of drops being used, the more inaccuracy.

Drops are not perfectly uniform. Close, but not perfect.

If something only requires a few drops to change colors, then this variation probably will not affect the test.

Your using around 30. If your bottle has a tiny bit of static electricity on the tip it will cause the drops to form slightly small. Over 30 drops you may be off by a couple drops because of this. Or air getting mixed in the drops, or inconsistant squeezing pressure, or etc etc etc...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.