Just got TF100 today - first results

May 7, 2015
Sagamore Hills, OH
Hello everyone - pumped my tf100 just arrived today and my pool water looks rough as expected lol. I am actually surprised my CYA isn't super sky high though because I used a ton of shock and tablets before I discovered this site. Anyways...

Total Chlorine - 0-.5 - couldn't tell exactly
PH - 6.8
TA - 70
CYA - 0

Will fire up pool calculator shortly here.

Great! Congrats on the arrival of your kit. :testresults: VERY amazing your first test showed no CYA. Make sure to ask us if you have any questions about performing the test.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually you "did" post results. :) I meant more like perhaps a second set just to confirm. Sure seems odd about that CYA. It would also bee good to see your FC.

Congrats on getting the kit.

Is there a reason you didn't run your FC/CC or CH test? The FC/CC test is far more important than TC. In fact the yellow OTO test really just verifies that there is chlorine in the pool.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

How exciting that you have your Mad Scientist Play Set.
attachment.php

You should run all the tests before you start playing with poolmath. Videos showing how. With the FAS-DPD test, there will be no doubt what the FC level is, and you can also test CC. It looks like you just used the OTO test alongside the pH tester. Did the CYA sample at least get a little cloudy? And even though low CH shouldn't be a problem, high CH could be, so you should know what it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dump in 10 ppm chlorine and give it 30 minutes to mix and then retest FC & CC. That'll tell you all you need to know.

+1 on this.

Problem is that sometimes mysteriously low CYA levels means a bacterial conversion to ammonia. This often happens while a pool is closed for the winter and loses all FC so the bacteria can munch away on the CYA in the Spring before the pool is opened. In these cases the pool loses most or all of the CYA from last year and will have an incredible chlorine demand. So add the 10 ppm worth of chlorine and retest after a half hour. If you get a low FC and high CC reading after that then there might be an issue.

If, however, you test and still have near 10 FC and a relatively low CC then you may have just gotten lucky and lost CYA other ways. Hoping for that outcome!

Pool calculator says to add 72 oz of 8.25% bleach. How much would 10 ppm be? Sorry for noob questions and thanks you two for your help.
We can't tell you that. We don't know how much water your pool holds. You've given us the size but not the depth so we can't even guess at the volume. Without the volume, poolmath won't work. It's not hard if you know the volume. You just enter the volume up top, plug in your current value and your target and how strong the bleach is an it tells you. How to Use Poolmath Tutorial.

I have 128 oz of bleach on hand - seems like I should just pour it all in.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok yeah I got it Richard - thanks again. I was just confused when you said ppm. 16,300 gallons 17x32x4
What strength bleach? And is it really 128 oz, or the new improved 121 oz? If you plug your 16,300 in at the top and then go waaaay down to Effects of adding chemicals, it will tell you how many ppm FC you added.

Never apologize for being an idiot, it makes all the other idiots feel insecure :p

I kid of course, we were all new to this at one time so don't sweat it. Let us know what your FC and CC reading is in a half hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.