St Augustine, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I have been reading a ton here on the boards this week and have come across many threads about stains. My pool has a few that I know of that appear to be in quarter size imperfections in the surface. I would guess that there are about 4-5 of them that wont brush out. Nothing major though.

Well recently I had an algae breakout and shocked my pool. I ended up jacking the FC up to 40 which it is down to 22 now. My PH at the beginning of all of this was at 8.2 as well. Upon my reading, it looks like this had made me a prime candidate for stains. Is this true?

Looking at the pool now I think there are slightly tinted streaks on the bottom. I am not sure if they are really there or have I just been reading too much about stains and now my mind is playing games with me. It is hard to tell since I do not get home until dark. I will look for sure this weekend. The finish on our pool makes it difficult to tell as well since it has misc. blue dots in the marcite. Not sure what they call this finish either. :( Anyway, it is mostly white.

Any thoughts or suggestions here? Also, does anyone know what they call this finish just so I know for future reference?

Thanks guys!!!

High PH can cause a variety of problems, including causing metal stains and calcium scaling, either of which might possibly be what you are seeing. High FC levels also tend to encourage metal staining.

Here is something that you can try to narrow down the possibilities. Find a spot/stain that you can see consistently and hold a vitamin C tablet against it for 30 seconds and see if anything changes. If the spot/stain goes away it is probably an iron stain.

Thanks Jason... I will give that a try this weekend an post my results from it. I will also try to take some pictures of the pool so you all might be able to tell me if I am just seeing things or if there is something there. LOL

Jason... by chance do you know what the name for that finish is? It is 99% white with some wide spread misc. blue dots in it, but not a ton. Maybe just a few every inch or so. LOL

Here is a picture that I found on the intenret that looks pretty close to my pool. I don't think I have quite as many speckles though. Possibly Diamond Brite?

finish.jpg

It could be one of the quartz/plaster finishes, like Daimond Brite and Marquis, or it might be Beadcrete, or even Pebble Sheen. It is difficult to tell without a close up photo.

In any case you treat it as a plaster finish. Whatever is producing the color is set in plaster.

OK... So I was finally able to see my pool in daylight (geezz I hate daylight savings time... LOL).

Here are a couple of pictures of the stains I was referring to. It is hard to see them but maybe it is just my computer. Also, these stains are very light and not drastic by any means... I just want them gone. LOL

Hard to see but there is a slight brownish streak.
Stain1.jpg

These stains are right where the wall meets the step.
Stain2.jpg

Also, where the wall meets the strep. (Side Note... What is that goldish colored stuff building up on my return? I also noticed this all over my Haywood Navigator but it wiped off the Navigator with a towel.)
Stain3.jpg

Also, as you can see by the picture above and the ones below, this is the finish on my pool. Any idea?

Finish1.jpg

Finish2.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.