Just purchased a home with a pool, help!

Jun 3, 2015
Arenzville/ IL
So I am all moved into my house and started fixing up the place. I just got the deck leveled and power washed/stained. Now I have moved onto trying to get the pool ready. It's a smaller above ground type of round pool but it is built into the ground. The former owners were very old and haven't touched the pool in at least two to three years. The son told me he made the pool out of an old grain bin silo and I believe it is sand all around the pool. The pool it's self looks decent, it has some bowing on one side (Bowing in) and another spot on the opposite side that's bowing out. I have filled the pool and noticed it is about 3-4" un even. Is this pool safe to use? I have a guy coming to clean it and get it ready to open and he noticed the bowing spots and said it should be fine but now that I can see it's uneven it worries me. He has installed a new pump and sand filter so I am already invested and am hoping it's safe. I have two nieces who will use the heck out of this pool and I don't want to take any chances.

Pictures would certainly help. Sounds like it's not the traditional AG pool that has legs and fairly flexible panels around the outside. How much of the top of the "silo" is out of the ground?

It's best to post pictures using a photo sharing website. As a non-member, you have very limited forum storage space to upload pictures. See how to link photos here: Posting Photo's Tutorial

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks JVTrain, I will run down to the house when I get second. I am at work at the moment. The pool is super gross right now and has about a billion tad poles in it but the pool guy I hired thinks he can get it all cleaned up. I will post some pics to imgu when I get time to run down to the house.

how big is the pool? you said not big. might be easier to empty and refill?

also, 3-4" of unevenness seems like a lot. but being that its buried probably not as big of a deal, but others will chime in on that

p.s. fire the pool service. you can do this on your own and save a lot of money and have a better, cleaner pool.

how big is the pool? you said not big. might be easier to empty and refill?

also, 3-4" of unevenness seems like a lot. but being that its buried probably not as big of a deal, but others will chime in on that

p.s. fire the pool service. you can do this on your own and save a lot of money and have a better, cleaner pool.
Lol I'm sure it would be cheaper definitely but he's a personal friend and he really isn't charging me that much. I will try to get some pics soon and figure out how big it is. I apologize I don't have this information yet.

Lol I'm sure it would be cheaper definitely but he's a personal friend and he really isn't charging me that much. I will try to get some pics soon and figure out how big it is. I apologize I don't have this information yet.

is your friend going to treat the pool like we advise on TFT? you gotta pick one method, either go the TFT route, or pool store/service route. if he is in the pool service business im guessing he doesn't follow the TFT method. and when you tell him how we do things, you will get the dirty look and the "no, that's not how its done". I got the same thing from my dad. when I bought the house and SLAM'd the pool he kept saying how you cant kill algae with just bleach, I need to get an algaecide. he even bought me two bags of yellow out when we came over to visit. told him no thanks. lets just say he was baffled when he was over a week later and the pool was crystal clear, lol

neat pool by the way. what is the diameter?

Haha nice man, sounds like my dad. I try to explain things to him and he's so set in his ways he doesn't even consider it lol. I have no idea the diameter to be honest lol. It's not too terrible looking for being a ghetto made pool. I just hope it's not that hard to keep clean and all that. I don't know the first thing about pools so I am just getting into this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.